Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Default Kinmans for my Jag??

Hi, just joined. I've a '64 Jag (Cherry Red that I'll come right out and say I've....uhhh....chahged....). Trying to get a pickup and I just get overwhelmed w/choices. Considering the 1/4 Pounder, but is it really such a no-brainer to go Kinman? AND, which one? I play mostly Blues (some , hehehe, SRV, Clapton - I LOVE Cray's clean sound). Also guys like Gatton/Albert Lee.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

You like Gatton? In that case you could go with Barden's. They are VERY pricey but I wouldn't trade mine for nothing'.
    [color=red]Just "Tele'in" it like it is.[/color]
    www.myspace.com/reubenadkins

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teleman77
    You like Gatton? In that case you could go with Barden's. They are VERY pricey but I wouldn't trade mine for nothing'.
    Lloovveee Gatton. Play jjuuusssttttt like him. Yeah.

Yes, thery ARE pricey, but it's prolly a one-shot deal that would show its worth every day. Man, thanks for adding to my cornfusion (only kidding....)

Edit: looks like you can't get them now, 'xcept maybe on ebay or something. Barden website N/G - I saw something on Musician's friend mentioning something about Barden not making anything since 2002/2004....??

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Welcome. Yeah Barden stopped making them a while back, and they go for $500 to $600 a set on eBay these days.

Do regular Strat pups drop right in to a Jag? If so, you could email Kinman ask what they would recommend for the sound you're looking for. Check out Fralins too.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people" Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat, "We're all mad here 'n stuff."

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerine49
    Welcome. Yeah Barden stopped making them a while back, and they go for $500 to $600 a set on eBay these days.

Do regular Strat pups drop right in to a Jag? If so, you could email Kinman ask what they would recommend for the sound you're looking for. Check out Fralins too.
    Wow, that much??

I was a little intimidated at the Kinman website - looks like questions have to be 'worthy' of an answer....too bad, tho', heheheh, I'll give it a shot.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Chris is very accessible. He will respond to an email. His site is sort of a Tone Library, you can learn a ton of stuff related to guitars on it. Go there frequently and learn up! I still go there for reference on a regular basis.

Warning, his pickups are highly addictive. 8)
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar
    Chris is very accessible. He will respond to an email. His site is sort of a Tone Library, you can learn a ton of stuff related to guitars on it. Go there frequently and learn up! I still go there for reference on a regular basis.

Warning, his pickups are highly addictive. 8)
    Cool. Geez, I was pricing with FedEx - $70???!!! Damn!! Seems I can do OK for $125 or so, depending. Considering what's been said here AND I was looking at a SD for $80, these prices ain't bad at all.

Gotta thank this forum. Kinda ashamed to say this, but I had absolutely NO CLUE Kinmans even existed. I sure do now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I can't remember how I found out about Chris Kinman, but I'm very grateful that I did. :D

Honestly, I came from the Gibson field, played a Paul almost exclusively for decades. Then I thought I ought to give Fenders another try, but I was never ecstatic over their tone until I discovered Chris' pickups. Now they are almost all I ever play on a Fender or Fender-like guitar. The only exceptions to that are my two Carvin guitars (with their own brand singlecoil pickups) which do get a lot of playing time, and a set of Gold Fender Lace pickups in one MIJ Strat. 8)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

if youve got the money i would get the kinmans. im thinkin about getting some for christmas bc they are 260 with shipping :shock:

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Two years from now, you won't even remember what exactly the price was. Ten years from now, you'll still be amazed and inspired by their tone. 8)