Thanks

Default nashville tele pickup adj.?

looking for pickup height measurements for neck, middle and bridge.
    everyone says the fender factory settings are too close.
    any suggestions?

also the bridge pickup has a screw at the top side and 2 on the bottom do all 3 adj. the height? if this is a stupid question forgive me i'm used to a strat.

thanks

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Yea, all 3 screws on the bridge pup adjust the height.

There is no concrete law for pickupheight - there are too many variable factors for anyone to just give a distance measured with a ruler which is "correct".

FWIW: here is what I do.

Start with the bridge pickup:
    *Lower the middle & neck pickups - a lot.

*Raise the bridge pickup until it is VERY close - almost touching. Now listen to the low E string - you'll probably hear the notes don't sound good - they warble. That is what are called "wolf tones" - the result of the strings being tugged on by the pickup magnets because the pickup is too close. . They can be so bad that the tuner doesnt' even know what not it is. THey can even be so bad that the string cant' sustain much.

* Lower the bridge pickup until the wolf tones go away and the note doesnt' warble. THIS is the highest workable setting for the bridge pickup, go no higher.

* Now adjust the height to taste. Close will give you a stronger louder signal with a brash more biting timbre, while farther away makes the note sweeter but not as loud. Set it where you like the sound - don't worry about loud. you get 'loud' from the amp.

*strum each string carefully with the same pick pressure and make sure each string is at about the same volume. On many (but not all) pickups this will mean that the bass side hasta be a bit farther from the string than the treble side.

Once you have the bridge pickup set, then do the other 2 - no particular order. Set them so that the relative levels between the pickups suit your taste. Some guys like all 3 pickups to be that same volume, while I prefer the bridge pup to be a little louder then the others.

Again, make sure each pickup gives even volume across the strings. They may or may not hafta be a little bit lower on the bass side.
    http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,WireNWood.png

Old MacDonald had a stroke,
    E-I-E-I-O !
    Now all he can say is vowells!
    E-I-E-I-O !

Thanks

thanks for the reply
    i was gonna go with the fender specs and adj from there but i'll give your method a try.
    i figured it was gonna take some noodlin guess i was trying to save a little time.

thanks again

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Nothing to add to Ray's advice. I'm just popping in to say welcome and ask if your handle is 'every good boy does fine?' My Dad taught me that.
    Welcome to the land of Dementia!

Thanks

thanks for the welcome

yes but the way i learned it was "evgdboy deserves fun"

a side note: it tried the tele on a couple songs at a gig tonite (i mean last nite) after using wirenwood suggestions, it sounded pretty good. i still have a little fine turning to do.