Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Fender F-03 origin

Hello people, i'm after some advice. I was given a Fender acoustic guitar about 22 years ago but it may be older than that, and i'm really struggling to find any information on it. The sticker inside the guitar says its a Fender F-03 the serial number starts with a Y followed by 7 digits, the fender logo at the top of the neck is like a mulitcolored hologram. Basically its a very nice sounding acoustic guitar, but i'd like to know more about it. From what i've read, its probably of asian origin other than that i dont know. If anyone knows anything about this guitar i would really appreciate it. Also what its worth?
    cheers
    ade

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Hi ade. Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the delay - we wouldn't want it to take one whole week for a response would we?

I'll do Acoustic-talk with 'ya, (for a new set of strings from Admin, for my air guitar that is).

Fact is, I had one of these F-3's but I don't wish to tell everyone about every guitar I've ever owned - I'd sound like a pathological liar, or a person looking for attention.

But I have pics, and fond memories. It would be about 25 - 30 years old by now, a very early Fender acoustic, following their other brand "CBS Masterworks". Indeed it was given to me also, by my cousins, in pieces, about 10 -12 years ago.

I reassembled it, gave it a good auto-body buffing, new tuners, pegs, strings, setup ... nothing much. And it looked and played like new. I think the "hologram" logo you describe is actually abalone.

I sold it immediately for $250 'cuz I just didn't have space, or the need for it. Also, it was competing with my Yamaha FG-180, an Epiphone/Aria, another Morris guitar, and a Pan/Aria which were all similar.

They come from the same factory, or some of them did, since they are all contracted out to one or two BIG Eastern conglomerates, such as Samick for instance ... who makes Ibanez, Epi's, Washburn etc. Though, this changes from time to time.

This Fender would be Taiwan if it was really old & good, or China - I never wondered, thought it was written inside.

I'm away from home without books and sources, but I did look up the "Y" prefix to no avail. Seriously, I checked at www.ibanezcollectors.com for the origin of the "Y" but they didn't have it. There is meaning to it. It would be a code for the actual company that made the guitar.

They are very, very nice guitars - better to keep than to sell, as they are not valuable. I don't think the tuners are cast/sealed, so they would be perceived as lower end. They're from an era where sealed tuners were still high-priced, not like today.

Who can really appraise something like this, and without seeing it or playing it? Also, the competition has continually raised the bar while lowering prices. I would expect to get $350 for mine if I were selling it now.

Hope this helps ... a little. :)

Thanks

Thankyou strat man dwight for all the information, your right it is a very nice sounding guitar, i would never sell it, its like one of the family. I've just played it and it still sounds like new. I'm gonna give it a birthday in the new year and send it off to be re-strung and get a couple of small dinks taken out of it. As far as the value is concerened, to me its priceless.

Thankyou again for your reply.

ade

Fenderfied
    Thanks

That's nice. Very satisfying if you own a guitar that you really like and can get "attached" to.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

"Fact is, I had one of these F-3's but I don't wish to tell everyone about every guitar I've ever owned - I'd sound like a pathological liar, or a person looking for attention. "
    Naw, it just makes us seem compulsive. 8)
    I am on an adventure, I may or not be back later, who knows?

Thanks

Default .

I know it's been a long time since you posted your question but I've only just found the site.

I've been playing an F-03 since I got it for christmas in 1983 - that's a long time to be playing the guitar, perhaps it's time for a break. Seriously though, it's a nice machine that's aged well and has survived many a scarey fall in the pub with only minor dents. It had an action you could have driven under when I got it but I made a new bridge for it and it was much better.

They were, according to an obscure corner of the fender site that I'm not sure I could find again, made for one year only in 1981.

They appear from time to time on e-bay for around 100 which is an absolute bargin and you won't be finding mine there. It definately sounds more than 100 pounds.

Sandy

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum, miceforlent! :D What part o' Scotland be ye from - more clearly, which major city are ye closest to?
    Yer guitar pickin' friend,
    Herb
    "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, 'n stuff!"

Thanks

I HAVE AN F3 since Christmas 1980. Still plays great and is a great guitar. I thought about selling it once and only once.... I wouldn't part with it now as I play it almost every day so it's in my barn of guitars I play regularly. My wife gave it to me for that Christmas so has way too much value to me...

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Nice! I love to hear stories of guitars that we've bonded with and that really mean something to us.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Thanks

Question My Fender F3

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Nice! I love to hear stories of guitars that we've bonded with and that really mean something to us.
    i have a real emergency... i love my f3 and have never sold a piece of equipment for any reason before but i need too for money issues with the way my life is now. so other real ax men please help with your words of wisdom