Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Fender Gemini III

Hey guys,
    Just picked up my first guitar at a local shop in Vancouver. It's a brand new Fender Gemini III, and i've become obsessed with it. I love it, and all my guitar friends are blown away at the quality. Thing is, i only spent 250 bucks, and i've read a couple reviews and they've been ultra-high as well. I cant find hardly ANY information online tho, and I just want to hear a little more about it. anything you've got to say about it will be helpful.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum.
    Sorry I can't help about your model guitar.
    A friend has a Fender acoustic from about that era (1980's), made in Korea. I always liked it.
    The new stuff is really good, so maybe they're using the name on a new line of acoustics.
    Does it have a solid top, or laminated?

Fender has bought out Guild and Tacoma, so it's nice to hear they're still interested in providing good imported acoustics too.

Thanks

i dont kno much technically about it other than it looks identical in every way to the gemini III's that i have been able to track down on the internet. its supposedly from the late 80's but it is brand new and i payed about what the retail for a new gemini III was back then! is it possible i just got an incredible deal?

FenderTalker
    Thanks

$250 for a decent acoustic is definitely worth it.
    Yes I'd call that a good deal.
    Fender is not known for their acoustics, but they try.
    There have been some innovations by Fender, back in the day.

There was a series in the sixties that everybody dissed. They made guitars like "Newporter," etc. that had a metal tube brace lengthwise through the middle.
    Good engineering concept, but it didn't catch on.

To this day I'm attracted to the Fender acoustics with the six-on-one-side headstocks. They even made some of those a couple years back in Korea.

Very eye catching.

Thanks

This is good to hear. Is there no way to explain how i was able to buy it new though? its not recognized on the fender website, or anywhere on the web really(except in the late 80s), and yet i'm convinced its authentic (got a whole bunch of fender stuff with it upon purchase) and it IS brand new. any information anyone has would be appreciated

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Sounds like NOS. new old stock.
    It was made back when they made them and never sold. It has just been waiting on you.
    8)
    I am on an adventure, I may or not be back later, who knows?

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Keep your receipt for any warranty work. You have to prove you bought it new from an authorized Fender dealer.
    This is not unheard of. Stuff gets lost in storerooms for years.

Thanks

I have the same guitar, a Black Fender Gemini III, made in Korea.

My dad bought it about 10 years ago and its been sitting around since then. I pulled it out of the closet, re-strung it, and im more than happy with it.

Apparantly they only made them for a year or two back in the 80's (86-87ish i think?)

I pretty much got it for free because no one in my family was using it, and i love it.

From what i found on the internet, some other people bought it for about that same price, and they are all suprised by how good it is.

I've never been too amazed by fender acoustics, but i love this guitar.
    I was going to go buy a good acoustic one, but i found this, and now I dont need too :)

Glad to see theres someone else like me out there.

Thanks

Default RE: Fender Gemini III

Quote Originally Posted by devbc View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just picked up my first guitar at a local shop in Vancouver. It's a brand new Fender Gemini III, and i've become obsessed with it. I love it, and all my guitar friends are blown away at the quality. Thing is, i only spent 250 bucks, and i've read a couple reviews and they've been ultra-high as well. I cant find hardly ANY information online tho, and I just want to hear a little more about it. anything you've got to say about it will be helpful.
    I've had a Fender Gemini III. I can tell you some stuff about it. It started being sold in 1987 and was discontinued in 1988. The Neck and headstock I believe are spruce and the body is Mahogany. Original retail value from 1987-1988 was from $199-$209 and has gained some value. Retail value now is usually from $200-$250 depending on the condition.

Thanks

At the moment, you cannot buy them new. They were only new from 1987-1988.