Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast
    Fender Lover
    Thanks

I would think the top of the fingernail (say index finger in this example) on a down strum.

Congrats Stan on an entire gig without a dropped pick!

~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    OK, Mr. Bandleader backed off on the lighter, acoustic sounding thing and we went back to the Rock sound. So there I was free to grab the Paul and go for full-throated double humbucker Tonology. I did, but then in the middle of one song, I put 'er down, and grabbed my Carvin Strat-thing. That thing's tone just sings. And I stuck with it for the rest of the gig. Go figger... :roll:
    Tell that dude that you are the leader! You're a guitarist for gosh sakes!
    You're in my sight, but there's a mist on my lens!

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

And things tend to go around full circle. After months of playing without a plectrum, I have gone back to playing at least 2/3 of the time with a pick. And then I'll palm the thing and play with my fingers for awhile, as the passage of the music seems to ask for it. It was just a phase I was going through.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi, I'm Stan and I am addicted to Overdrive pedals. I don't even know how many I own, but I generally have at least four on my pedalboard. And I swap them out occasionally, and go through the usual rearranging them in an order where they might work best together. You see, I often start songs with one of them on, and that will be my "base" tone. Then as the song progresses, I'll kick one on, and then another, and then here comes the solo and suddenly they all have their little LEDs lit up and rockin'. Then the crescendo usually comes down and I turn a few off (or not).

Anyway, for years my base tone has been just using a Boss Blues Driver BD-2 (Keeley modified) as my go-to lead off hitter. For several years, I have been comfortable there, using just a bit of crunch on it and playing through an amp set very clean, with a lot of head room. And all of my other drive/distortion pedals have fallen after the BD-2. Well, last week, I decided to put the BD-2 near the end of the chain and crank it up for more of a distorted lead sound. The result was something I have been seeking for a long time. One of the BD-2's nicest qualities is its dynamics and how it cleans up when you roll the guitar's volume down a little. Plus, it lets the character of your guitar shine through quite nicely even when pushed near its limits.

With the Blues Driver further down the line, I decided to use my Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive (also Keeley modified) for the first position. It is a stompbox that can also go from a light crunch to a good distortion, but it has an extra control that can dial back in the clean signal to balance the two. I have it now set up so it is most often "on" all the time.

The next stompbox in the chain is a Fulltone OCD Obsessive Compulsive Drive v2, and it is set up for a moderately heavy overdriven tone, since it likes to roar. And the last OD in my setup is a Boss FDR-1 '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal. It has a bit of sentimental value since I got it from Jim, a friend who used to be on this board and went by the handle Rockwannabe. He has since passed on, so I keep that one on my floorboard in his memory. I have it set up to add just a bit of overdrive, and a good dose of Fender Reverb to add some depth to things when I need it. Thanks Jim, you're still with us.

At any rate, this last weekend I was happier with my various overdrive tones and how they worked together than I have been in a long time. And you know how guitarists can be frustrated with chasing tones through the jungle. I don't know how long this sense of satisfaction will last, but for right now it's feeling pretty good.

Stay tuned, Stan

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Stan, at our age we deserve this kind of satisfaction. I have been a confirmed pedalholic, and overdrives have been at the top of the list. I always have at least 2 on the board. Congrats, and play on, more than ever!!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

SAguitar (06-19-2018)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Geeezzzz, Stan.... For a year or two now I've been thinking you were awesomely satisfied with the Soul Food pedal.... You spoke of it in such glowing terms that I immediately wanted one. Now, however, there's no mention of it.... What happened to that one?
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I scratched the itch at thwe time and got a Soul Food following Stan's review. Also, what happened to the Jekyl & Hyde Stan?

I currently run an OCD > Little Green Wonder (tube screamer type) > Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. Sometimes the SD goes first in line but the LGW is always after the OCD, otherwise the mids get boosted too much.

...I'm gassing for this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE87NhZ-hZA
    Last edited by Captain Bb; 06-20-2018 at 07:39 AM.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I too bought a Soul Food and it hasn't left my board since.

Currently I run through an MXR micro amp, dialled right back but always on, into a D&M drive with the Mick side always on. From the D&M drive the signal goes to the Soul Food and out through a Boss Chorus and Boss Delay. The Dan side of the D&M Drive gives me a screamy overdriven sound, the Soul Food gives a lovely 'quacky' drive. Winding in the guitar volume level cleans things up nicely so I tend to play with the guitar volume for soloing rather than having to tap dance around like a fairy elephant.

Coupled with my Peavey Classic 20 micro head and 1 x 12 cab I'm really liking the sounds from my pedal board and strenuously resisting listening to new pedals as I can't afford the GAS.
    You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

...I'm gassing for this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE87NhZ-hZA[/QUOTE]

Cap'n - bite the bullet, you wont' regret it. I paid full whack for mine but a mate found one on Ebay for 160!
    You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah, I still love me some Soul Food! It is in the "next one to get back on the board" box. I have loved the way it interacts with other pedals, and then I remembered that it is a Klon Clone and the Centaur is basically a boost box. I'm sure that little fellah will be back on stage again soon. That is one of the nice things about pedalboards, they are relatively easy to reconfigure and rearrange.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde - I still like the J & K, but I had a self-caused reoccurring problem with it. When I had the set the Hyde drive to where I liked it, about 2-3 o'clock, to keep the level under control the volume knob had to be very low. And down there it's almost an on/off switch. I guess I was bumping it, or it was just getting moved by my manic jumping around in its vicinity. At any rate, sometimes I would engage it and would get no sound. Not good. I'm expecting warp drive and I get meh. So I have been punishing J & K with solitary confinement until I figure out a way to solve that. Both sides of the pedal are great tone tools.

I've been looking at that Keeley D & M Drive too! It looks very enticing and I am a big Keeley fan.

Satisfaction is a very fleeting thing for us guitarists.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast