Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar
    This week's contribution to the Quest: bought a G & L Legacy from AC. Anxiously awaiting its arrival to her new home now... 8)
    G&L guitars are the finest standard production strat-style guitars i've ever played.. and that includes "real" Fender strats.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I have been experimenting with something decidely unfender.
    my new (to me) hamer LP hand made usa axe, touch of zoom for a little delay, tube screamer into mr marshall. We played out last weekend at a secular blues festival and the tone was very very good to my ear. It was very close to Gary Moore. Well, at least the tone, not the playing :?
    I am on an adventure, I may or not be back later, who knows?

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

I'm gettin' a chubby for the G&L, Frank!

And way to go, Carlos! There's a whole world of Magic Tones out there!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

All right, this week's contribution to the quest took me somewhere I haven't been for a long time. I was getting a little too much oomph from my Strat, and wanted to get more Translucent Spanktone from it, so I up and changed strings. But wait, I changed to a thinner gauge of strings. I know, I know, I've been preachin' more thicker = more tone for years, and what's up with this? But it worked. I went down to a set of .009-.0042's and love the change. Yes, I'm surprised, too. I had to do a whole new setup for it, but I'm likin' it, at least for now. I wouldn't do this for a shorter scale guitar, because their strings are soft enough (I have .010's on all my other electrics). But for the time being, this Strat is living large with less steel. Go figger! 8)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This weeks contribution...

This week finds our hero holding the bottom together on bass. I took both the 5-strings, fretted and fretless. The newest addition to the tone process down below is a Boss GT-6B. I haven't really built any fancy patches for it yet, but I have a few very subtle ones I'm trying. I don't want to mess up my tone by taking chances with it. The feel of the song is very important to me, and the bass together with the drums establish that. I have set up 3 patches with subtle tonal differences, one with a little chorus and one with a compressor on it. For the first three, the only changes are different cabinet simulations. So far, it's working pretty good. I am going to have to program a few more channels with more adventurous effects built into them. I couldn't find any use for nearly all the stock patches. They are way too wild for live playing. Perhaps for a crazy studio track they might work, but not live.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

How is the Legacy?
    "Ain't nobody leavin' this place without singin' the blues" - Albert Collins

Super Moderator
    Thanks

My New Love is in transit. (UPS #1Z9447E50326308311) Check it out, she seems to be in LA right now on the first leg of her West Coast tour!

Soon, I hope to feature her in a Blog Installment. Take care, Harry!

FT Member
    Thanks

Default SA, You continue to demonstrate incredible taste in Axes

I can tell because you tend to choose many of the same guitars I would choose or have chosen. The first guitar I ever "customized" (hacked, defaced, messed with, altered) was an 80 Walnut Paul, I know the year, because I bought it new. I wanted an affordable new Gibson and that was the one that year. No frills, no finish, a couple exposed Hummers, not so common back then. After about a year in a fit of bordem I had the store tech put a Bill Lawrence pickup in place of it. The one that looks like just one long metal bar down the center where the pole pieces would be. I was very happy with it, sounded great (Bridge position) but as things go, a few years later I got involved with a shrew from hell, and well it went away for off all things money that we didn't really need, I know I know, but I didn't know then what I know now, I was still pretty young and stupid, and whenever I'm in a shop and see a Paul on the wall I look for that BL pickup hoping to find my old one, .... sniff, cry, whine....

Speaking of your new love, The IGBW bought me an ASAT Legacy about 5 years ago. It not alone just rocks, and with solid build quality, but it is the most beautiful dark sunburst I have ever seen. I don't know what you'd call that color, maybe Tobacco Sunburst?, it's so pretty. And there whammy system was (is?) far superior to the Fender equiv of the day. I guess Leo and the guys just kept at it until they got it right.

You're gonna love it SA. Enjoy.
    http://www.guitartrader.com/cat_img/...RTELHS-cat.jpg
    American Tele HS, MIM Duosonic, G&L ASAT Legacy Strat, 70's Precision Bass
    Bandmaster Reverb w/tall 2x12" C12Q's Cab, SF Pro Reverb

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sheesh, man! That is a dead ringer for my new honey, except she has a rosewood fingerboard. I think this one might really grow on me. The trem unit really is outstanding. Leo and Co. did pursue the goal after he left Fender, and came up with a better product. Very nice guitar! I'm gonna have to find some time to give her a new set of strings, with a setup, and see what she can do!

Thank you, Lance!

And Jonny, I don't know if you're interested or not, but I am gonna have a Gibson "The Paul" up for sale pretty soon. I don't think it's the one that was yours, but it's a wonderful player. I happen to have two of them, and one is enough. They have a simple beauty and power about them that just says "business."

Fenderfied
    Thanks

:shock: I'm in love :!:
    http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic581_3.gif