Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default Mighty Mite Neck Review

Some of us "home brew" guitar hacks and builders have seen the Mighty Mite "fender licenced" necks on eBay, and various other places on the 'net and i've come close to pulling the trigger on a purchase more than once in the past.. but was simply afraid of the low price and, quite honestly, the hokey name.

Let's face it.. the name, "Mighty Mite" just dosent exude excellence or craftsmanship, does it?

Well as luck would have it, I wandered into my local music shop today and lo and behold.. somebody traded in their hacked together Strat project, complete with Mighty Mite neck!

Now the guitar was obviously assembled by a rank amature.. the neck was obviously bolted on crooked to the body, and there were a couple "drill thru" holes on the body.. it was finished in true "corn cob" fashion with the word "Fender" on the headstock.. not even remotely close to a real looking Fender decal, by the way.

But it gave me a chance to check out the quality and workmanship of a Mighty Mite neck.. and I gotta say.. I was impressed.

The neck didn't appear to have been coated with any sort of finish.. it was raw wood.. but even slightly dirty and totally unfinished.. the frets were dressed nicely, the neck was straight, and the wood had a nicer than average "birdseye" grain.

It had a brass nut.. which I can only assume was an aftermarket thing, and played like crap.. no doubt as a result of a crooked neck, and super cheap pickups.

In short, next time i'm looking for a neck in a traditional Tele or Strat shape, and don't mind varnishing or finishing the neck.. i'm gunna gfive a Mighty Mite neck a try.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Thanks, Frank! I've heard good reports on "Mighty Mite" necks before, but never from someone whose opinion I value as highly as yours.

"Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Hmmm,

What's happening here- first he gets sweet on MIK Squiers, now Mighty Mite necks- what next?

You make a good point though, low price usually connotates cheap quality. I'll be anxious to hear more on their necks if you actually wind up using one.
    Phil 4:13
    Ezekiel 25:17

"People are only as loyal as their options"
    "I wish I had a dollar for every dollar owed to me, then I'd have all my money back!"
    Conanisms

Fender Lover
    Thanks

After playing several "high dollar" Fender instruments recently, i'm convinced that MIA Fender is way overpriced.

I'll take the pepsi challenge with my KoreaKaster any day of the week against a MIA Fender.

I'm not even all that impressed with Fenders Custom Shop stuff anymore.. if you wanna pay real money for a real guitar, buy a G&L

But I gotta say, I still love the Fender shaped headstock.. I wish G&L headstocks had enough "meat" to carve into a standard Fender shape. If they did, i'd jump ship 100%

The G&L S-500 is the finest Strat style guitar i've ever played.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I haven't played an S-500 yet, but I might have to. I'm sure likin' that ASAT I bought from Voodoo! I still really don't care for the shape of the G & L headstocks, either.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

MIA Fender is way overpriced
    Bigtime.
    http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,WireNWood.png

Old MacDonald had a stroke,
    E-I-E-I-O !
    Now all he can say is vowells!
    E-I-E-I-O !

FenderTalker
    Thanks

My tele has an Allparts neck that I really like.
    Ronnie Earl: 'Music is not a sport, there's no competition'
    Cybermonsters was here

Super Moderator
    Thanks

My Tele, Ashley, has a Warmoth neck which is delicious!

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StratFreak View Post
    After playing several "high dollar" Fender instruments recently, i'm convinced that MIA Fender is way overpriced.

I'll take the pepsi challenge with my KoreaKaster any day of the week against a MIA Fender.

I'm not even all that impressed with Fenders Custom Shop stuff anymore.. if you wanna pay real money for a real guitar, buy a G&L

But I gotta say, I still love the Fender shaped headstock.. I wish G&L headstocks had enough "meat" to carve into a standard Fender shape. If they did, i'd jump ship 100%

The G&L S-500 is the finest Strat style guitar i've ever played.
    Thanks for your review and opinions pal, as I'm one of rare people here that is "walking" over Net & eBay some of my friends and son's friends ask me for advice about acceptable but good neck that doesn't need a special dressing of headstock, heel... I suggested USCG, based on my neck, Warmoth is overridden due to known things about the price, so the left Mighty Mite. The name is really ridiculous, the prices are OK, but I found a couple of reviews critical of the poor finish and heel. I'm glad that someone actually checked and found that MM is acceptable to the good stuff for a 7 (or F?).
    Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I bought a MMite neck once for a project I was playing around with. I didn't like it and quickly dumped it on eBay. That's just my 2 cents.
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast