Thanks

Default need to date an old jazzmaster HELP!!!

Hello,
    I have a jazzmaster, and i need to find out the year it was made.

I was told to look under the neck for a year stamp but i did not find one, i did find on the neck: #0100 2823 and the names DAVID P. and Frank y

on the body i found the name gary a round logo for inspector #16

the On the head it dosent say wether it is USA made or Japan it does say : OFFSET CONTOUR
    BODY PATENTED

with syncronized floating tremolo

These are all the markings i can find. I was told it was made between 1966-1975 but i need to know weather is was made pre 1969 or post 1969, so i can determine the actual market value.

Thanks for any information,
    johnwinstonlennon

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default eeeep

Fender has consistently added a production date to the heel of each guitar neck, with a couple of notable exceptions, from 1950 to the present. The exceptions being 1959 and a period of time from 1973 - 1980.

Your absence of a number at the heel suggests to me that either the date code has been warn off/sanded off, or that it was produced between 1973 and 1980.

Now the Jaguar was discontinued in 1974-1975, so perhaps a better clue would be to look at the decal on the headstock to help zero in on the time frame it was made:

The presence of the "Offset contour body" suggests a 1962-1968..

BUT..

Your mentioning of the "round logo for inspector #16" and "the names DAVID P. and Frank y" are also consistant with a Fender guitar produced between 1966 and 1980.

So my gut instinct suggests that the guitar is 1966-1968.. since 1966 is about the time they started the "round stamp" thing, and 1968 is the last year they made the headstock with the "offset contour body" decal.

Here are some links to help further your research:

Fender Serial Number resource:
    http://www.rexc.com/services/datingfender.htm

Fender Neck Stamp Resource:
    http://www.infowest.com/personal/g/g...neckdates.html

Provided the electronics are original, there are some clues on the stamps on the pots and the type of electronics used.

Fender pot date resource:
    http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html

Good luck!

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

More importantly, be aware of slick reproduced fake decals out there. This one recently surfaced on eBay and if it weren't for the keen eye of Stratfreak we may all have been duped...

Thanks

Default thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. it was vary helpfull
    Thanks,
    johnwinstonlennon

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ACfixer
    More importantly, be aware of slick reproduced fake decals out there. This one recently surfaced on eBay and if it weren't for the keen eye of Stratfreak we may all have been duped...
    Actually, the Donughtcaster was a short lived project in the fabled Fender Japan Custom Shop. Production was limited to only 101 pieces.

Sum Yong Gui, former head of production for Fender Japan wrote in his 1994 tell-all book entitled, "Fat Lazy Americians" that, "I smoked alot of cheeba one night, and thought HEY! Amawakans ahh fat and wove to eat as much as dey wikea da wock and woll muzik", describing his initial insperation for the DoughnutCaster, "Soo eye makea da DoughnutCaster anna kell ahh two bhirds widda one stone!"

Production problems, including a pesky fly problem resulted in the short lived production of the now elusive Donughtcaster.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

[size=6]i love history 8) [/size]
    [color=purple][size=6]~T~[/size]
    SAVE A LIFE--ADOPT A SHELTER/RESCUE PET.[/color].

Fender Lover
    Thanks

me too owwdatune lol.
    -BCR Tom
    Led Zeppelin didn't write songs everybody liked they left that to the Bee Gees.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    If you want to date a Fender Jazzmaster just buy her a bottle of nice, sweet smelling polish (with a soft cloth of course) and take her to a nice club.
    Try to avoid rubbing her too much untill the 2nd or 3rd date. :P
    [size=6]I know, its only Epiphone, but I LIKE IT!
    [color=darkblue]www.guitardogs.com Woof, WOOF![/color][/size]

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talen
    I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    If you want to date a Fender Jazzmaster just buy her a bottle of nice, sweet smelling polish (with a soft cloth of course) and take her to a nice club.
    Try to avoid rubbing her too much untill the 2nd or 3rd date. :P
    Hehehehe