Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Default Fender Jazzmaster (Tone)

Thinking about modding my Tele, looking for a slightly fuller sound. Thinking about a humbucker in the bridge and an oddball pickup in the neck. Thinking Jazzmaster pickup, but not entirely sure.

What does a Jazzmaster neck pickup sound like when it's not being used for surf music?

I play mainly alternative/experimental music. I'm big on using distortion and effects like delay and reverb, tremolo. "Ambient" music is the best I can come up with.

So yeah, tell me what you think. Thanks

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I'd think you'd get a fuller sound. The Jazzmaster was designed for rhythm and lead. I've not seen this mod done before but the Jazzmaster was Fender's first guitar where rhythm was built into the specs - switch it on, switch it off. Appearence-wise, its big and if you don't like it the route hole may be hard to deal with later. The pickups are unshielded so they give that rich and warm tone but can be troublesome on the bandstand - think 60 cycle hum magnified. But if you are looking for a fuller sound it could be a good way to go.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

ahhhhhhh......the sweet sounds of a jazzmaster pup--warm, soulful,rich & full-- i remember hum wasn't a problem if you lowered your guitar volume standing next to your amp--move away from it about 6 feet & no problem--not noticable while playing--check out the sounds here >>> http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...izard/tele.htm --scroll down towards the bottom of page.---- 8)
    [color=purple][size=6]~T~[/size]
    SAVE A LIFE--ADOPT A SHELTER/RESCUE PET.[/color].

Fender Lover
    Thanks

--also....instead of a full size humbucker for the bridge...you mite wanna try a lil 59--or better yet, a JB jr.--both sound good & don't require routing a bigger hole as they fit in original single coil size hole.---i've had both & both sound really good in a tele body....as a matter of fact, i'm gonna put one of them in the middle position on my deluxe nashville, along with alnico II pro's in the neck + bridge--unless i decide to go with Wolfetone pups for neck/bridge--we'll see---still got 2 projects going on rite now. 8)

FT Member
    Thanks

I can't find a JB for a Tele, owddatune...Still looking

Fender Lover
    Thanks

hi apoc....now that you've got me thinking..i think the JB jr. is a strat size & would need a larger hole--i can't remember to be certain-i haven't the time to research the dimensions--but the lil 59 for tele is a better all around pup tone wise-i've decided to use it in my mid position on the nashville--the JB jr has too much of that stRAT quack as compared to the lil 59..which has more of that old timey 'Patent Applied For' humbucker sound--to my ears a bit mellower but still with a tele bite to it 8)

FT Member
    Thanks

I had thought about the Lil 69er (primarily because it sounded pretty decent and required zero modification to the guitar itself). I'm glad to know it's still got the Tele bite. The thing is, I LOVE the sound of my tele when it's played with some distortion. It's just the best thing ever. I'm just not all too fond of the clean sound. I'm really looking for a clean that I like...

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Huh? What kind of clean are you looking for?

~T~, you are killing me with the Nashville tease. I want one, gotta have one, need one. Awhile back you said you were ripping the middle PU out of yours ( I damn near cried myself to sleep). I'm glad you found a use for that center hole.

I ordered a set of Wolfetones for my project Tele with the parameters of clean sound. It may take awhile to get them in with the other mods I'm doing but I'll let you all know what I think. I will tell you Wolfe asks a lot of questions and even wanted me to visualize the sound so he could get it right. It would not hurt to call him.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McGillman
    ~T~, you are killing me with the Nashville tease. I want one, gotta have one, need one. Awhile back you said you were ripping the middle PU out of yours ( I *Holy Censor, Batman* near cried myself to sleep). I'm glad you found a use for that center hole. .
    Hi McGilldude....LOL... if you like a stRAT, you'll feel right at home with a nashville..i just never could get used to that middle pup--i guess being a fingerstylist, it bothers me being there-its not normal !!_LOL_ ...but i'm gonna give it a try with a different pup there--gotta get that stRAT tex-mex owwda there !! they have sooo much more of an annoying sound than the tele tex-mex pups !!--i'm thinking of wiring it up; neck-neck/middle-middle-neck/bridge-bridge...maybe a push/pull tonepot for series/parallel-in/out of phase or something...whacha think ??...then if i still can't get used to that center pup, it goes up for sale !! 8)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

No comment on the wiring. I think you need a standard Tele set-up and that middle pickup is annoying to you and always will. I love Teles and the stRAT's are there because some folks think they are somehow better for certain types of music. I know a very good player who loves his stRAT and doesn't realize a Tele would do so much better for him. He even wants a stRATocoustic to round out his music. I hoped I talked him out of that.

I want the nasheville to round out my playing and so I can give Uncle Herman the tune as he wants to hear it at the BBQ without lugging a stRAT around.

Let me know if that middle pickup comes up for sale.