Thanks

Default LSR Roller Nut problems

Hello I'm new here, hoping for some help!

About 2 years ago I installed a Fender LSR Roller Nut on my Strat. Now, I don't know if I put it on incorrectly or what, but any time the guitar was tipped upside-down, and there was no string in the respective groove, the 2 little ball bearings would fall out!!! Luckily any time this happened, I would find them on the ground right away and put them back in. But these things are TINY!!!!!!

Unfortunately I was playing my guitar a few months ago and a string broke, and stupid me, I sat the guitar down, and the ball bearings fell out. This time I never found them.

My guitar has been sitting with 5 strings ever since, because I'm poor at the moment and can't afford a new Roller Nut ($20-$30). I was thinking of buying a new Nut so I could either replace the nut or just use the ball bearings from it.

Here's my question(s):

1) SHOULD the ball bearings be able to fall out when a string is not present? If not, then I installed the Nut wrong.

2) Is there anywhere I can order/purchase JUST the ball bearings? Surely they're available SOMEWHERE out there. I'd buy a whole package of them if they're around. However I don't know what size they are.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!!! I'm no guitar expert, but this is a problem that should be able to be fixed. Thanks!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Hey Trevour, the same thing happened to me. I lost the "ball" and had to buy a new LSR nut. My buddy has one on his Strat and his "balls" stay put. Maybe Roy can help you and I both.

Dwitt

------------------
    "Aint no good in an evil hearted woman"

Fender Lover
    Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trevour:
    Hello I'm new here, hoping for some help!

About 2 years ago I installed a Fender LSR Roller Nut on my Strat. Now, I don't know if I put it on incorrectly or what, but any time the guitar was tipped upside-down, and there was no string in the respective groove, the 2 little ball bearings would fall out!!! Luckily any time this happened, I would find them on the ground right away and put them back in. But these things are TINY!!!!!!

Unfortunately I was playing my guitar a few months ago and a string broke, and stupid me, I sat the guitar down, and the ball bearings fell out. This time I never found them.

My guitar has been sitting with 5 strings ever since, because I'm poor at the moment and can't afford a new Roller Nut ($20-$30). I was thinking of buying a new Nut so I could either replace the nut or just use the ball bearings from it.

Here's my question(s):

1) SHOULD the ball bearings be able to fall out when a string is not present? If not, then I installed the Nut wrong.

2) Is there anywhere I can order/purchase JUST the ball bearings? Surely they're available SOMEWHERE out there. I'd buy a whole package of them if they're around. However I don't know what size they are.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!!! I'm no guitar expert, but this is a problem that should be able to be fixed. Thanks!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome!

I've rarely experienced LSR bearings falling out. Usually, this is caused by the unit being bent, stretched out and/or hairline cracked somewhere. The same applies to the bearings where they can warp and/or be easily crushed, thereby stretching out their sockets. Note that the metals which the LSR is made of are fairly brittle so with any undue stress to the unit anywhere, bad things can easily happen with it. Either way, you're talking metal fatigue here. As to whether it was something you did or didn't do to cause this, I couldn't say.

As to replacement bearings, I have never seen them offered as a separate component. Frankly, you'd be throwing good money out after bad trying to replace them due to the fact that your unit is defective. The fact that the string is the only thing that holds the bearings in place is pretty much a guarantee of this. Hence, you are treating a symptom and not a cause.

The only thing I can tell you is to try contacting Wilkinson and/or Fender. If they can't help you, you will in fact, have to get a new nut which in the long run, is what you really need. However, I'd make absolutely sure that prior to installing the new unit, that whatever you did or didn't do will not be a contributing factor in the same thing happening all over again and I'd thoroughly check the new nut prior to installation as well to ensure it is intact and naturally, that the bearings aren't prone to falling out. Needless to say, if anything is amiss, send the unit right back!

Regards,
    Roy

Thanks

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply!!!

Hi Dwitt, well I'm glad to see I'm not the ONLY person who's had this problem!

Roy, your info helped me out greatly. After reading your reply, I was checking out my Nut to see if I could notice any metal fatigue. Now I think I know what's wrong. I originally installed the nut myself, following the instructions very carefully. Part of the installation required widening the groove in the neck so the LSR nut could fit, since my Strat originally came with a standard glued-in resin nut. Well, I think after this new groove was sawed/sanded to the new width, I think it was a TAD too wide (like a few hairs too wide). And so it appears that the nut is sitting in there a little loose, not much & barely noticeable, but JUST enough so the ball bearings aren't secure - therefore allowing them to fall out.

Whelp, that's what I get for not getting it installed professionally! [:P]

So maybe what I will do is get a new Nut (when I can afford it), and fill in the cut out groove so the 'new' nut fits more snug. In any case I think I'll look at going to a guitar tech this time! [ ]

Thanks again Roy, and I look forward to being a member of this awesome board!

Fender Lover
    Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trevour:
    Wow, thanks for the speedy reply!!!

Hi Dwitt, well I'm glad to see I'm not the ONLY person who's had this problem!

Roy, your info helped me out greatly. After reading your reply, I was checking out my Nut to see if I could notice any metal fatigue. Now I think I know what's wrong. I originally installed the nut myself, following the instructions very carefully. Part of the installation required widening the groove in the neck so the LSR nut could fit, since my Strat originally came with a standard glued-in resin nut. Well, I think after this new groove was sawed/sanded to the new width, I think it was a TAD too wide (like a few hairs too wide). And so it appears that the nut is sitting in there a little loose, not much & barely noticeable, but JUST enough so the ball bearings aren't secure - therefore allowing them to fall out.

Whelp, that's what I get for not getting it installed professionally! [:P]

So maybe what I will do is get a new Nut (when I can afford it), and fill in the cut out groove so the 'new' nut fits more snug. In any case I think I'll look at going to a guitar tech this time! [ ]

Thanks again Roy, and I look forward to being a member of this awesome board!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trevour,

Your welcome!

You've made the right decision to have the new nut professionally installed. There's a lot more to installing the LSR than meets the eye.

On behalf of all, we're glad to have you as a member!

Regards,
    Roy

Thanks

New here. Interesting post regarding the LSR nut. My guitar came with this installed and I haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned. I do see where these can have problems though. I can see where the installation is critical, and it seems the biggest problem in the installation is with the nut slot width. I had to examine mine closely to see where things could go wrong. Appreciate the posts. Made me aware of the issues regarding the LSR.
    Last edited by John; 06-01-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks

hhmm, I've only heard of the bearings falling out. After examining the LSR nut on my Strat Plus, it looks like separate pieces hold each of the six sets of bearings in are held in place by the rear (nut slot closest to the tuners) of the nut slot. Interesting. My Strat Plus came with the LSR installed. I think that if you cut the nut slot a bit to wide, your balls could pop out. I hate when that happens, lol. I'm thinking that if this is the case, a shim could be affixed to the tuner side of the slot and tighten up that gap. My Strat came with the LSR installed. It's a late '93-'94 Strat plus, and has seen plenty of use. I've had to replace the first 7 frets due to wear and re-leveled the frets. The LSR shows no signs of wear and still works great. I am one of those who swears by this "better mouse trap". I can see myself installing this unit and getting the nut slot too wide, then getting all frustrated when it explodes. Making sure the nut slot is not too wide is an important issue if installing this yourself. I do like the LSR set-up as it does indeed stay in tune much better. Even better that my guitar with a Floyd rose set-up. But bear in mind, I'm not doing dive bomb effects where the strings go limp as with the Floyd Rose.

Thanks

I've installed many types of nuts over my 50+ years of messing with guitars. Including, brass, aluminum, graphite, bone, various types of plastic, pencil shavings, WD40, teflon inserts. The LSR are are the best thing so far. I'm lucky that my guitar came with it installed. I am now aware how critical the nut slot width can be when installing this. The LSR does affect the tone as will any metal nut. But I prefer the brighter sound. The LSR doesn't cost that much, and even with the cost of having it installed by a guitar tech, I still think it'd be worth it. Anyway, good luck to all. Hope these posts might help someone out............ PS; A little tip. When cutting the string slots in a nut, I've had good luck using a welder's tool. Gas welder's use a small round file set they use to clean out the torch tips. These sets come in fold out array that goes from extremely small to larger. with files small enough for your high "E" and large enough your low "E".
    Last edited by John; 06-01-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: misspelled some words and gramatical error

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Hey, John... Welcome to Fender talk... I just wanna let you know that there are more current threads than that 15 year old one. Hope yer staying dry down in Texas!!
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....