FenderTalker
    Thanks

Default Geddy Lee's sound?

Yo!
    I have an America series bass with '62 vintage pickups instaled, and I am trying to nail the Geddy Lee sound heard on "Different Stages Live". I also run it through the SansAmp Bass Driver. It sounds close but It's missing something. What else can I do?

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Get Alex Lifeson and Neal Peart to come jam with you, that might bring you a little closer...

Thanks

I think yr missing these

FT Member
    Thanks

http://www.guitarcenter.com/intervie...standard.shtml

GC: Tell me about your bass-set-up these days.

Lee: Primarily, I use a Fender Jazz Bass '72 with a blonde neck and I've customized that just a little bit with a Badass bridge. It's a great sounding bass. I've been experimenting the last few years, using three different types of speaker simulators and not using any real live amp at all in terms of speakers or mic-ing speakers. Out of a need to develop something that I could use at home rather easily, I developed this system. Presently I am using an Avalon U5 DI Box. That signal then goes to Palmer speaker simulator and then goes to one of two different kinds of SansAmps that I use. I use all three of those signals. One for distortion - the SansAmp. The Palmer gives me a low-end speaker sound and out of the Avalon I get a really deep and clear DI-sounding bass. It gives me lots of flexibility when it comes to mix.

GC: What about for live?

Lee: For live I use exactly the same setup but I'll go through some Trace Elliot amps and cabinets which I've been using the last couple of tours, for onstage monitoring. For the front-of-house live it's an ideal system for the front of house, because it's all DI. It gives me a very controlled sound out front in big arenas.

------------------
    "Ruby Moss digs me!"

[This message has been edited by SummerRain (edited March 06, 2002).]

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Yo...
    I am using an American Series J-bass with vintage pickups, SansAmp Bass Driver, and Samson poweramp (1000 Watts) with Peavey 210's and 115 Black Widow.
    I...I Guess this isn't gonna cut it. Is there anything that I can use as a substitute? What about the '60s Custom shop J-Bass Pickups, are they any better than the '62 vintage? How about the Seymour Duncan Vintage pickups?

FenderTalker
    Thanks

You may want to try some light flanger on the bass.Also, Geddy has long fingernails on has right hand which he does a light pull-pop to achieve his signature sound.You can get this sound by using a pick and cutting down on your highs.

Thanks

Default Re: Geddy Lee's sound?

Quote Originally Posted by mutronIII
    I think yr missing these
    and to add to this Geddy I think still uses his old Taurus Pedals too

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Those ARE Taurus pedals........ :roll:
    Yer guitar pickin' friend,
    Herb
    "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, 'n stuff!"

Thanks

It's interesting to note that Geddy is using a stock '72 Jazz--with the exception of the Badass bridge.
    No big amps.
    No picks.
    No fancy pickups.
    He injured his right middle finger (or index, I'm sketchy here) when he was young--the injury almost took off the end of his finger. When the nail grew back it came in thick, which is why he has a pick sound but plays with his fingers.
    You will not be able to play Geddy's lines with a pick. Grow your right index and middle nails a little, then go to a nail salon and have an acrylic overlay done on them. Go home, pick up your bass and have a file handy to make adjustments to your new Geddy nails so they don't hook on the strings.
    Voila--Geddy Lee sound.
    (Yes, I've done this myself--it works)

Thanks

If you can get yourself the Geddy Lee signature bass, or even a mid to mid to late 70's Jazz Bass, ( hell, or even a Marcus Miller sig bass ) and I'm sure that'll get you close.