Thanks

Default Hi from Norfolk, UK

Hi all.
    I first registered on here in 2015 but have not posted until now so here goes.

I got my first guitar (electric) when I was 13, muddled around with a crap punk band when I was 17/18, hated every moment I was on stage so since then I just noodle away on my settee; occasionally playing and singing for/with the LD guys I support.

So as you can tell not the worlds best guitarist but hey...I enjoy myself.

I got my first Fender in 1979 and its this guitar about which I have a few questions running around in my head.

If it's the real deal its a 61 strat neck on a 69 tele body. I sort of drifted into preferring the acoustic so this guitar sat in my loft for years until 2015 when my mum mentioned that old Fender's were getting to be worth a bob or two.

It's out of the loft now but I don't play it because the electrics don't work. (That's why it ended up in the loft).

What I'm wondering is how do I get it restored properly. It all seems to be original bits so rather than replace with new bits can I get pick-ups rewound etc.

Another thing I wonder is how could I get it authenticated (or not. Lol).

Then there is the question of value. I'm not particularly up for getting rid of it but it might be nice if my better half new not to throw it in the bin when I pop my clogs. Hee Hee.

So again hello to everyone. I'll post pics etc to see what people have to say but not on this thread. If anyone can suggest a thread and where I'd welcome that advice.

Regards

Tigrero

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Welcome to FenderTalk, Tigrero! Well, that is a bunch of questions you have posted. Your guitar sounds like an interesting hot rod, and it is quite likely that there is only one little wire in there that is not making a good connection and rendering the guitar silent. It probably doesn't need the pickups rewound or any major work to get it functioning again. I you have a decent guitar tech in your area they should be able to take care of that. After all these years it will need some new strings and an overall cleaning and setup to restore it.
    As far as value, that is an open field. If it is assembled from parts from '61 and '69, it will be very difficult to put a price on it, as it is really worth what you can sell it for.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Welcome Tigrero! Stan's right. But since ya gotta restring it anyway, pop the hood and see if you can spy an obvious 'disconnect'. And if there is one, find a friend with basic soldering skills or buy a cheap gun and some rosin core solder and fix it. (countless youtube videos available) I don't think you have a valuable collector piece there, but it would be worth more if it were working... both to you and to any prospective buyer. Get her fixed and give her another shot. What could it hurt? Any Fender Tele is worth keeping; at least until there's a good reason to not....
    I have no idea what that reason would be, though.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Thanks

Thanks for replies guys. I get what you say about what could be wrong. I'm dramatising when could be something simple to fix. Will check out the guitar medicine man Captain Bb.

Thanks

Taking my hot rod to see the guitar medicine man next Tuesday. Yay 😀

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigrero For This Useful Post:

SAguitar (10-09-2019)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Excellent - let us know how you get on. Oh...and we need a picture or two of that beauty.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

FT Member
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum Tigero