Thread: Boss Katana Air

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Boss Katana Air

Hey guys, hope you're all doing well!

So, I figured it would be nice to get a really small amp just so I don't have to play unplugged all the time, or use headphones with the Boss GT001 - especially so my parents can listen (assuming they want to!).

So, I sprang for a Boss Katana Air a couple of weeks back and I'm very pleasantly surprised. It goes without saying that you have to set expectations realistically. A pair of 3.5" speakers in stereo is not going to sound like a 1X12 cab driven by a pair of 6L6s, but it serves it's intended purpose very well. The tone is definitely usable for playing along with the TV in a small living room.

It comes with a transmitter that plugs into the guitar output jack, and it turns the amp on and off when it senses movement. You can set the guitar down on the stand, and the amp turns off after a few moments of no guitar movement. Then, when you pick up the guitar, the transmitter senses movement and turns on - and turns the amp on as well. You can adjust the time on the smartphone app. The Boss Tone Studio app stores a bunch of presets, and you can create your own and download stuff from their "cloud". Those patches are underwhelming, but a good starting point, I guess.

The best part is, you can stream backing tracks from your smartphone via bluetooth, kick back on the couch and play along. This thing is TINY, you can lift it with one finger, literally.

All in all, exactly what I was looking for, I think!

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Most excellent! Enjoy the Air, brother!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

Srini (11-23-2018)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I've not had a chance to play one yet but have been thinking lately whether the Air might be a worthy upgrade to my THR10C.

I'm a little wary of bluetooth devices dropping out (Line 6 Amplifi comes to mind) but the technology is getting more robust.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

FT Member
    Thanks

I've got a buddy that swears by the Katana line of amps. I haven't had a chance to play through one yet, but am interested in trying one out. Thanks for the insight Srini!

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Cap'n, the consensus online is that the THR10 sounds significantly better than the Air, so you may want to consider just getting the Boss transmitter/receiver set (which, I understand, is pretty inexpensive). Still, it's definitely worth trying out.

KWal, you're more than welcome!

I really know nothing about the Katana line of amps other than this Air. After several days of living with it, I can definitely say that it lives up to its convenience hype. After some futzing around with Bluetooth, which as the Cap'n pointed out, is a bit finicky in terms of communication, it does what it's supposed to do. The preset tones are pretty bad, in my opinion, but they can be tweaked to sound acceptable, if you allow for the tiny speakers.

Of course, much of it depends on what you like. The very first patch is a supposed clone of the clean JC chorus tone, and it's ok, although way too heavily chorused for my taste - easily fixable. The gain tones really and truly suck, but they're not my bag anyway, and I'd probably say that about a tube amp too.

I struggled hard to set up a somewhat touch sensitive bluesy patch, with just a touch of reverb, and that seems to work reasonably well as a general purpose tone. Roll the guitar volume down to clean it up, roll the tone down considerably to take the edge off, and its not bad.

But you can't argue with the size - fits right below the TV, extremely compact. Pick up the guitar and it turns on. Stream backing tracks from the phone and jam. It's basically a convenience amp.

Srini

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Hi mate,
    I saw some Boss amps on YT because some ads promoted it as budget metal amp for home use... We all know that Boss make nice pedals & processors, so it's up to us to judge how they makes amps. I'm little sceptic as years ago tried similar amp of Yamaha...not disappointed but not happy with it: dozen of effects, modulations, but nothing special.
    I hope you was better lucky with Boss

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Elvir, I think you pretty much summed up the Katana Air - I'd say probably a little less than nothing special. In fact, I think I like the Boss GT-001 even more (the GT needs headphones, though), and the nice thing about the GT is that it puts out a dry USB stream along with the amp/FX tone. This way you can record two tracks simultaneously, and then re-amp the dry track if you don't like the amp/fx track. I'm actually looking forward to using the dry track with the BIAS amp plug-in.

Man, I sure miss my Gries and Viking amps!!

Srini

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

Littlefloor (12-03-2018)