Thread: HRD lll

FT Member
    Thanks

Default HRD lll

Ok, hot rod deluxe lll, I got it used, great amp, but out of blue it started making a crackling sound, almost like when you turn a dirty pot.
    I changed out my cable, same thing. So I figure it's probably a tube issue, but I'm not sure if it would be pre amp, or power tube(s), and what brand would be the best bang, without breaking the bank?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Joe

Fenderfied
    Thanks

JJ Tubes are good value and quality. I like Tung Sol also.

Pre-amp tubes last the longest, so start with the power tubes. Make sure you buy a matched pair.

But before you buy any tubes, remove the old tubes and relocate them again, making sure you re-seat them properly.

Also, when the amp is warm, try tapping each tube with a pencil to see if you can locate the dodgy one.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.