Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Never played a Tele before...

Iíve been playing around 35 years and while I have played a variety of guitars with many different configurations I have never played a Telecaster.

I have been thinking of trying out a Tele but I have a couple questions before I go out and dump a small or large sum on a guitar I may not like...I currently work in the Middle East so just going down to the local guitar center to try one out isnít an option. Iíve notice some peculiarities with the bridge that Iím concerned about.

1. When I look at the Fender American series Telecasters (Standard, Deluxe, Pro etc.) I notice the bridge doesnít have individual saddles, rather a barrel saddle that has two strings over each. This means that you canít intonate each string individually. All other electric guitars I have played/owned had individuals saddles for this reason. The cheaper model Fender and Squires on the other hand have bridges with individual saddles...Iím really confused about this. Intonation aside, the barrel saddles make the bridge look cheap to me, yet theyíre on Fenderís most expensive Telecasters, this style bridge is also the only option when you go to the fender custom shop site too.

2. The second question as pertains to the bridge is the American series bridges have an edge on them which looks like it would be rather uncomfortable for palm muting, it looks like that edge would just sort of bite into your hand? As for the cheaper model guitars and even aftermarket bridges, some have the edge and some donít.

I used to play strictly heavy metal when I was young, then got into playing more mainstream rock and blues and I think a Tele would suit well in both styles.

If I do get a keeper Telecaster Iím really not sure if Iíll go for a Fender American series or get a cheaper Fender or Squire and do some upgrades or even do my own build such as a Warmoth or something, though the last option provides more customization choices at the start.

I would love to hear comments from veteran players who have used a variety of guitars for a variety of playing style, though all comments are welcome. Thanks to all who take the time to read and comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

First of all, American Standards have 6 individual saddles. Secondly, there are compensated barrel saddles made by quality producers such as Glendale, with which I can perfectly intonate all 6 strings (and they most certainly not cheap, although the Barden version is more affordable). Glendale offers a bridge plate with the edge removed. Most folks choose barrel saddles for vintage tone and appearance. Individual saddles provide slightly different tone (I personally think there's not a lot of difference in tone or sustain) and of course a more contemporary look. With well-compensated barrel saddles, there are only 3 adjustments compared to six for a modern bridge, but that's not a big thing, considering how seldom one has to adjust for intonation.

All of my Teles and Strats are painted and put together right in my workshop for well under the cost of an American Standard and I like them all much more than the American Standards I've owned. So unless you're really worried about re-sale value, don't hesitate to buy something cheaper but with a good, solid, comfortable neck and then upgrade hardware and electronics as the opportunities present.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdatlas View Post

I would love to hear comments from veteran players who have used a variety of guitars for a variety of playing style, though all comments are welcome. Thanks to all who take the time to read and comment.
    I have a set of guitars.
    I can not imagine life without Telecaster =)
    it sounds very clean.
    Last edited by childed; 05-08-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

The Tele saddle debate can be searched all over the internet with views for and against each type discussed ad infinitum.

My advice is to try lots of Telecasters and see which one 'speaks' to you.

As important as the saddle configuration are things like neck shape, nut width, weight, pickup tone, etc.

All play their part (pun intended) and only you will know which guitar brings all the ingredients together to form the perfect recipe for you.

My only other advice is to let your fingers and ears do most of the evaluations, rather than letting your eyes take over too much.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

The Tele saddle debate is right up there with Canon vs. Nikon or even Stat v. Tele.
    Stay tuned - SAguitar

Fender Lover
    Thanks

It's a looks thing for me... 6 saddles on a Tele just doesn't look right... That's just me though.
    Whether you think you can...or you can't...you're right!

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!!!

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
    The Tele saddle debate is right up there with Canon vs. Nikon or even Stat v. Tele.
    I got so sick of the Canon/Nikon camps I bought a Fuji, and it's awesome.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

ACfixer (05-09-2018)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gpower View Post
    It's a looks thing for me... 6 saddles on a Tele just doesn't look right... That's just me though.
    I put six individual saddles on this build and I think it looks right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You're in my sight, but there's a mist on my lens!

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Ummmm...... I can't even see the Tele. But I'll take your word for it....'cause it IS a Tele!!
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badxmpl View Post
    Ummmm...... I can't even see the Tele. But I'll take your word for it....'cause it IS a Tele!!
    can you hear me now! 
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You're in my sight, but there's a mist on my lens!