FT Member
    Thanks

Default Custom Mustang (The Amsterstang)

Hi everyone!

After my first ‘72 tele deluxe build and a custom Jaguar for a friend I’m starting to get addicted in this whole guitar building/assembling thing.

So I was in a guitar center in NY and picked up a Pau Ferro Fender Mustang, plugged it into a schweeet Vox, and I was immediately in love with that sound. First time playing a Pau Ferro fretboard and it’s actually really nice to my ears. So I wanted one. At home. To my custom likings!

I’ve been thinking over the game plan for a while and thought I might put it up here to see what you guys think of it. I’m still relatively new in the scene so any advice is always welcome!

THE PLAN

Neck:
    - Maple/Pau Ferro fretboard
    - 9,5” C shape
    - 24” short scale (ofcourse)

Body:
    - Alder
    - no tremolo routing
    - mustang bridge to a hard tail stop end piece

Finish:
    - blue stained top/ headstock top
    - tru oil finish over all the wood

And this is where I have ideas but no idea how to do it..
    I want to create sort of a faux binding. Which is hard because mustang bodies have round edges. I was thinking of maybe modifying the edges so I can create this “faux binding”. Like in the drawing attached. I also want to create a small touch of faux scraped binding on the neck.

I have a Pau Ferro 24” Jaguar neck at home, so maybe I’m going to remove all the poly finish and decals, finish with true oil and blue stain on the headstock top.

For pickups maybe Fralin blues mustang pups, or Novak’s, or maybe just the SD’s. Any experiences?

Thanks for the help!

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to seeing. Go for it!
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

"No" to the binding. "Yes" to the rest.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Nice project Arie. I have Novaks in Telesurfalas Mike built a while ago, great sounding pups. Also have Teles with stock standard, TexMex, and DiMarzio Twang Kings. The stock and TexMex have really bright bridge pups while the TK's are nicely balanced with maybe a bit more bottom end and higher output.
    Whether you think you can...or you can't...you're right!

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!!!