Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Default Couple of Queries from new American Elite Owner

I've had the new Strat for a few weeks now and have been playing. A lot. I've noticed a couple of things and wonder if these are a case of 'yeah, we all get that'...

Firstly the volume knob. Soft touch. Nice and grippy. Only problem is that when I'm strumming I occasionally notice the volume increasing - namely because I keep catching the volume knob! Is this something you all experience or is it me being clumsy?

Secondly the s-1 switch. With it disabled (i.e. out) I can flick the selector between pickups and all is quiet. But with it enabled I sometimes get a pretty loud 'pop' or 'click' through the amp. If I allow it to pop and then keep switching between pickups without playing then it's OK. The problem comes when I leave it on a particular pickup, play for a few minutes, and then move to another. Again, do you all experience this or could it be a problem?

Thanks.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I did have a guitar once that made a pop when pressing the S1 switch. Never had the other issues.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post
    I did have a guitar once that made a pop when pressing the S1 switch. Never had the other issues.
    There's a slick click when I press the s-1 switch, but it's using the 5-way slider afterwards that really makes the noise. I'll wait to see if any other folks have experienced it...

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I have always hit the volume knob on strats. It’s in the wrong spot :)
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I used to hit the volume knob when I first got a Strat. I don't anymore. You'll probably train yourself to not. I also sometimes get a 'click' when operating the 5 way switch the first time in a while. And not immediately after. It's almost gotta be a static pop; probably a ground issue, but mine did it before I rewired it AND afterwards. So now I view it as a personality characteristic....
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

FT Member
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys and I agree, the pop is likely to be static. Just wonder why it doesn't happen when the s-1 switch is out? Maybe I'll try playing with different flooring/clothing and with a different amp.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

First thing I'd do is lift the hood and spray the switches and pots with a liberal amount of switch cleaner. Operating them back and forth as you do so.

FT Member
    Thanks

First thing I'd do is lift the hood and spray the switches and pots with a liberal amount of switch cleaner. Operating them back and forth as you do so.
    Thanks Captain Bb. Is that something that might be needed on a brand new guitar? I thought would be for an old timer where a bit of gunk had built up.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Normally I'd agree it's not needed on a new guitar but those guitar cavities usually still have gunk remaining from manufacturing (wood dust & rubbing compound usually...but possibly solder).

I had a brand new ES335 once that had intermittent noise issues. When I popped out the pickups I found a couple of spare wood screws floating around loose in there!

It wont hurt to do a clean up just in case some debris is floating around causing the issue.

However, it is your absolute right to return it and let them sort it of course.

FT Member
    Thanks

Normally I'd agree it's not needed on a new guitar but those guitar cavities usually still have gunk remaining from manufacturing (wood dust & rubbing compound usually...but possibly solder).

I had a brand new ES335 once that had intermittent noise issues. When I popped out the pickups I found a couple of spare wood screws floating around loose in there!

It wont hurt to do a clean up just in case some debris is floating around causing the issue.

However, it is your absolute right to return it and let them sort it of course.
    Good points. I'd rather sort it myself as I know I'll take exceptional care...