Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Default Versatile Jaguar

On request of a friend Iím assembling/modding (the word ďbuildingĒ still doesnít suit me since I donít make everything myself) a Jaguar. Started collecting bits and parts and went onto the web for lots of research, since I donít own a jag myself.

Also the music shops I visit started noticing Iím playing the new American pro Jaguar a lot, haha. Gotta check out the gear!

Anyways, my friend wanted a short scale guitar, she loves the look and feel of a jag, but sheís not too much into the surfy sound.
    Any advice on other pups than stock are very welcome. Iím leaning towards SD SJAG-2ís of SJAG-3ís. Both sets are decent rich versatile sounds for her rock/alternative sound.

I want to do the new pro wiring, with the 4-way switch and the phase switch. Got the diagrams and parts list from the friendly people of Fender. The new control plates are not widely sold yet, so Iím still looking for a reseller for that.

Obviously bridge choice has its considerations, so any advice on that is always welcome, even though I already saw a lot of info and different opinions on that here on the forum and other forums.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

The best Trem is the Mastery. The Mastery bridge is right up there as well, but some folks prefer the Staytrem bridge.

For pickup alternatives that will fit a Jag pickguard,

https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/c...l#.Wju1JVVKupo

Seymour Duncan has a "Hot Jaguar" and also a Quarter Pounder Jaguar pickup. Having used their Quarter Pounder Strat and Tele pickups, I can tell you they sound BIG!

The Fralin version has excellent clarity - listen to the sound clip here:

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/jaguar/

Also, can't vouch for these but they look interesting...

http://shop.joebarden.com/p/jag-style-pickups-jaguar
    Last edited by tele savalas; 12-21-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I know those cuts are all CNC, but damn.... they all look soooo clean!! I am trying hard to not buy or build a Jag... I'm afraid the others would get ignored... And they should all be afraid, too.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

I love to see a plan come together!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

FT Member
    Thanks

So update! (Better later than never)

Sprayed the guitar, I have to wait about one more week for the lacquer to harden. I think the army green looks awesome, especially with all the upcoming chrome.

I ordered most of the other parts, except the pups and the upper control plates. Problem with the control plates is that the custom control plates Iím looking for are only available in the US for pretty stiff prices, and including shipping to Amsterdam and customs it just becomes to expensive.

I have a friend who is skilled enough with hardware to make the plates himself, but I need to come up with good templates. Any of you have an idea where I can get templates of the new control plates on the Jag AM pro?

Here are some pics!
    She still needs buffing and polishing.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Hey, Arie.... LOOkin' Awesome! I found this link which is short of detail, but if your friend is a machinist and/or toolmaker, I'll bet that between this and measuring the actual controls, he can make one that works. Unless there are a lot of different styles for this plate...

https://greasygroove.com/proddetail....-P-JA&cat=1051 (click on "measure")
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to badxmpl For This Useful Post:

ArieRin (02-23-2018)

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Oh, it's a beauty! I really like the color you've chosen, well done.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

ArieRin (02-23-2018)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Yeah, I'm liking the way this is shaping up also. That colour is great.

Had my first experience of a Jag a few weeks ago - a Fender Japan Special HH Jaguar with stop tail.

That guitar wasn't set-up that great but what I really noticed was the short scale. Strangely, I don't notice the same thing with a Les Paul, etc. but the Jag felt different from the off. It had Dragster C pickups in it and they sounded very nice and it was very comfortable to play.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Bb For This Useful Post:

ArieRin (02-23-2018)

FT Member
    Thanks

Update!

Got handmade aluminum control plates from Rock Rabbit Guitars. The are very nice and smooth and fit perfectly. A lot of the other parts came in as well, and as always it felt like Christmas.

The pick guard I bought was not fitting very well, so a lot of sanding and shaping went into that.

Iím only waiting for the pickups. Decided to check out the handwound Texas Hot pups from q-pickups. I read many good things about them and prices were suiting the budget. If I donít like them I will swap them with SD SJAG-2 hots.

My worst nightmare came true when I accidentally dropped the whammy bar on the body and I made a little dent!! Usually I can fix chips with Danís way from Stewart Macdonald with the razor blade and superglue. But this dent only cracked the transparent lacquer so there is nothing to fill. The white crack stays visible. Anyone any idea how I can fix this? It is a tiny spot (5mm at max) so if itís too risky Iíll just have to live with it...

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Try rubbing some coloured wax shoe polish into it. It won't be invisible but it'll probably take the white down a bit.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Bb For This Useful Post:

ArieRin (02-23-2018)