Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Default Does anyone own or have played one of

the new Fender Paramount Limited Edition PM3 Adirondak/ Mahogany and or Rosewood models ?

I am intrested in what opinions you might have if you own one or played one.

I just purchased the 000 PM3 Paramount Limited Edition Adirondak/African Mahogany model.

My initial opinion is, it is what I would consider one of the very best Fender acoustic guitars in many many years.

The quality of the solid AA grade Adirondak spruce top is top notch. The solid AA grade African Mahogany back and sides are also of a top grade. The guitar was very light in weight and that was also a suprise. The Adirondak top makes it very responsive to pick or finger articulation and it responds amazingly well to the players touch and attack volume wise.

What was suprising to me was Fender added scalloped Adirondak quatersawn braces as well, which you don't usually find on guitars unless they run 2500.00 to as much as 5 or 6 thousand or more.

Also it a has a very well done nitrocellulose gloss finish and that you usually only find on upper end Martins or Gibson or higher end custom acoustics.

It has vintage style open back nickel plated gears, bone nut, bone compensated saddle and bone string pins.
    The mahogany neck is one piece with a heel, bound fretboard and headstock and rolled fretboard edges. Very nice pearl and abalone inlays in the headstock for the torch center inlay and the name Fender. Very well done fretwork.

A special pickup and preamp system designed with Fishman and voiced for each body style they make. A Dreadnought, Parlor and 000.
    Very small footprint in the guitars side much like Taylors expression system. Three small knobs and a small oval screen that acts as the tuner display.

I was never a fan of Fender's acoustic line but I stand corrected with this model.

So as I said I would like to hear anyones experience with these model Fenders or the standard series Paramounts or the deluxe series as well.
    Last edited by oldplayer; 12-08-2017 at 09:37 AM.

FT Member
    Thanks

Default Here is my Fender Paramount

Limited Edition PM3 000 Adirondak / African Mahogany guitar.

I don't own a good camera so it is the best I could do so please forgive the poor picture quality
    Attached Images Attached Images

FT Member
    Thanks

Here is my acoustic guitar collection including my new Fender Paramount PM3

Top row ... Masterbilt Epiphone DR500M, Ovation Celebrity, Martin Custom shop OMC
    Bottom row... Fender PM3 Paramount, Martin D16-RGT, Gibson Custom shop Songwriter Deluxe,
    Alvarez Masterworks MFA70CE

( yes I removed the pickguard on the PM3, didn't care for it)
    Last edited by oldplayer; 12-12-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Wow, what a gorgeous collection! Granted I know next to nothing about acoustics, but I'm very impressed! Out of curiosity, why did you not like the pickguard on the Fender? And more importantly, I guess, wasn't it difficult to remove it?

Srini

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

oldplayer (12-12-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Srini;345684]Wow, what a gorgeous collection! Granted I know next to nothing about acoustics, but I'm very impressed! Out of curiosity, why did you not like the pickguard on the Fender? And more importantly, I guess, wasn't it difficult to remove it?

Srini, Just something about the shape bugged me. Besides this way all of that beautiful Adirondak top is exposed. Adirondak is one of the top grade spruce woods for acoustic guitars with a really nice wide grain structure and the best stiffness for excellent projection and touch response

It was real easy to remove. A little adhesive remover and a slow peel back and then a soft microfiber rag with adhesive remover on it to clean up the residue and some polish and it's done.

Your from Bethesda huh? I was born in Baltimore and spent all but 6 years living there. I used to go to Chuck Levin's music store a lot . Good store for about anything you could want and GC didn't put them out of business like they did Venamans music store.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Nicely done, oldplayer.

Yup, Bethesda - and Chuck's has always been my home away from home. The sales guys have been there forever, as you know, and a couple of them and I go back decades. I remember buying my first Fostex 4-track cassette recorder there, and taking my rough mixes for the guys to check out and comment on. We would go to the pro audio room (which is now in the next building, right?) which was just behind their Mesa/Boogie area when they were still a Mesa dealer - remember that? I still remember them critically listening to my stuff and each one of them giving me suggestions, being brutal when necessary, but always with a great deal of encouragement. Its still a great place, in my opinion.

You know what was funny, was when a neighbor of mine said, hey I think I have a guitar pick here you may want to keep - and it said "Venneman's Music" on it. Not that I was a fan of Venneman's, but its definitely a collector's item!

Being from Baltimore, do you know Phil Jacoby? He built/assembled my USACG strats for me and has maintained them for many, many moons.

Nice reminiscing, oldplayer!

Srini

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

oldplayer (12-12-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

Yes I know of Phil. He is an absolutely great luthier no doubt.

My best friend whom my favorite electric guitar of all time, that my Telecaster is named after, has had Phil do a lot of work for him.

Personally I take everything, no matter what to Mike Forrester of Forrester Kustom Guitars in the Carney area of Baltimore county. He is just an exceptional artist when it comes to building custom guitars from scratch or repair work. It takes some time to get it done because he is a one man tiny shop but believe me his work is absolutely the best anywhere. You should see the custom electric guitars he makes. Just stunning. He is fanatic perfectionist as well as an excellent guitar player.

I bought a lot of my instruments through Gordon Miller music in Towson, MD.
    From Jeff Miller before GC put them out of business.

Yes hang on to that pick. It is definitely a collectors item.

I owned a full blown recording studio but before that I bought a 4 track recorder myself and that over the years grew in to a 32 track ADAT studio with a wonderful Trident board with Rupert Neve preamps and U/A Audio 610 preamps, some really wonderful vintage RCA ribbon mics, Neuman mic's and various other excellent mics, mastering to any digital format, analog format one could want as well as graphic art services for CD book art. It was named Silver Creek Studios.

It went belly up about the time Protools came out and then any musician or band could produce good demos or even CD's with a laptop and a good analog preamp. So why would they pay 80.00 an hour when they could do most of it themselves ? Couldn't blame them actually.
    I still have a smaller version studio at my home. 8 track ADAT 24 bit 96K recorder, BRC ADAT remote, Soundcraft FX16ii console, Tascam pro CD burner and some outboard gear. Some good mic's and I can still master to CD, Cassette, Reel to Reel or digital wav. files to send to the internet.

It's good to know someone from MD here. We can probably share a lot of common experiences for sure
    Last edited by oldplayer; 12-12-2017 at 11:58 AM.

FT Member
    Thanks

DSCF1764.jpgDSCF1765.jpgDSCF1770.jpgDSCF1769.jpg

some pictures of my current small rig at home. I realize this isn't the forum or place for these pictures but I thought I'd just share some of my current gear.

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    Wow, what a gorgeous collection! Granted I know next to nothing about acoustics, but I'm very impressed! Out of curiosity, why did you not like the pickguard on the Fender? And more importantly, I guess, wasn't it difficult to remove it?

Srini
    Srini I assume your mostly an electric guitarist ? If so here is my favorite Fender electric rig. It gives me that perfect Fender chime and spank that I love so much

My old and best friend TQ my Tele and my Strat TM who I named after the best guitar player I have ever known, that I love the most out of all the Strat's I have ever owned

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Beautiful gear, my friend! Your recording setup looks great. believe it or not, I've heard of Silver Creek. Back in the early 90s, I used Cue Recording in Falls Church because they were closer to home, and they had an SSL board in Studio A; but I've most definitely heard of Silver Creek. You're right, the quality of home recording has reached a point now where you can get close to pro results at home. And what with all the SSL plug-ins and presets from top engineers, there's really no excuse any more.

Speaking of luthiers, another great Baltimore luthier was John Thurston, who has since moved to Texas - you may know him as well. I'm trying to figure out if I've heard of Mike, but its not ringing a bell right now. As far as I know, Phil may be the only guy - at least in Baltimore - who has a Plek. Its fun to watch the Plek work every time I visit him.

Yes, I'm pretty much an electric guy, strat style mainly. Your Tele and Strat look beautiful - as does that Super Champ! Thats quite a rarity, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't used a Fender in years since I found myself wanting tweaks even though I liked the general style of the instrument. To me, it seemed like the best approach was to find a place like Warmoth or USACG, and most people in the know seemed to prefer USACG, so I went with them and I've been nothing but pleased with each of my three guitars. Of course, having Phil do the build, Plek and setup makes a huge difference.

Check your PM.

Srini

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

oldplayer (12-12-2017)