Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello folks

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Hah! Ya got that right, I'm already too old, but not to old to keep learning stuff. That's the beauty music, you never can learn it all, it just gets deeper.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

oldplayer (12-12-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Hah! Ya got that right, I'm already too old, but not to old to keep learning stuff. That's the beauty music, you never can learn it all, it just gets deeper.
    you are soooooooooooooo correct about that sir !

the longer you play the deeper the appreciation and understanding of it gets.

Sadly though one's body starts to fail one and even though you know what you want to do on the instrument sometimes it just doesn't happen the way you plan
    but you just keep on trying just for the love of it if nothing else.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oldplayer For This Useful Post:

SAguitar (12-10-2017)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Sadly though one's body starts to fail one and even though you know what you want to do on the instrument sometimes it just doesn't happen the way you plan
    but you just keep on trying just for the love of it if nothing else.
    You got that straight, oldplayer! Its a whole lot easier to theorize than to play these days. I do have a small stretch/warm-up routine that helps a fair amount, but I often find myself too lazy to do it. I found myself getting a little arthritic at one point, when Mike (Tele Savalas) recommended high strength fish oil, and that definitely helped.

You have to admire a guy like Les Paul who did his weekly gig at the Iridium in NYC almost until he passed. He always seemed to be having the time of his life, even though you can tell his fingers weren't what they used to be. But the nice thing is, you can substitute taste for blazing chops and still have a blast.

Srini

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

oldplayer (12-12-2017)

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

My wife and I saw Les at the Iridium. He was 89 and did what he could.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

oldplayer (12-12-2017)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

I saw Les at the iridium in 1999. It was his birthday, but I can't remember which one - 80, 85? We were doing an engagement in NYC at the time, and I dragged a couple of guys on my team to it. I'm surprised we managed to get in, and the cover charge for that day included a t-shirt that said "I partied with Les. Happy ?th birthday". One of the audience members was Scott Carpenter, the astronaut, who said that when he looked down on the earth he began to believe in reincarnation, and that he wanted to be reincarnated as Les! One other audience member was Kenny Kramer, on whom the Kramer character on Seinfeld was based. Needless to say he plugged his Kramer Reality Tour (which, if you're a Seinfeld fan, is mandatory!).

Like you said, he did what he could, but that was a zillion times better than anything I could have done in a hundred lifetimes..

Srini

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

oldplayer (12-12-2017)