Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Default Bigsby to replace hard-tail bridge???

Is it possible to stick a bigsby on a hard-tail guitar? I have a Jim Root Tele, and I personally think it'd be awesome with a bigsby. But I'm afraid there's be the mounting holes showing

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

This one requires no drilling:

If you want the old-school Bigsby aesthetics,
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Not sure what the bridge pickup cavity looks like on yours, but I suspect you wouldn't need to put that block of wood in the corner.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Have you played a guitar with a Bigsby before? They are an acquired skill, and actually can get in the way with some player's hands. And, as some at this Forum will testify, they will affect the tones of your guitar, some say positively, some not so much. They also can have an adverse effect on tuning stability in some cases. If you haven't played one before, I would suggest that you borrow or at least spend a good deal of time with one before undertaking this conversion.

I write this as someone who currently owns a Bigsby-equipped guitar, and one who has installed one on a favorite guitar, and subsequently removed it, and that process did leave some visible holes.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Have you played a guitar with a Bigsby before? They are an acquired skill, and actually can get in the way with some player's hands. And, as some at this Forum will testify, they will affect the tones of your guitar, some say positively, some not so much. They also can have an adverse effect on tuning stability in some cases. If you haven't played one before, I would suggest that you borrow or at least spend a good deal of time with one before undertaking this conversion.

I write this as someone who currently owns a Bigsby-equipped guitar, and one who has installed one on a favorite guitar, and subsequently removed it, and that process did leave some visible holes.
    I have played a guitar armed with a bigsby before, but not to a significant amount of time. I'll take what you say into consideration because I really don't want to put one in and regret it. Also, how would it generally change the tone? Would if give the guitar a higher end tone?

Fender Lover
    Thanks

My experience was that it made the tone thinner. I'm guessing that it's because there isn't as good a vibratory coupling between the strings and the body, hence less resonance. It was the exact reverse of the effect of when I converted a top-loading bridge to a string-through on one of my other guitars.

Depending on how much of your tone you get from stomp boxes or how hot your pickups are, this may or may not be an issue for you. I approached my second Bigsby Tele installation differently. First, I flipped the control plate back around to the normal position so the arm wouldn't interfere with the volume knob (the switch tip presents a much smaller target). Second, the guitar had humbuckers in both positions. My guess is that the hotter pickups compensated for the lack of coupling. The tone loss was much less noticeable in any case.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teleblooz View Post
    My experience was that it made the tone thinner. I'm guessing that it's because there isn't as good a vibratory coupling between the strings and the body, hence less resonance. It was the exact reverse of the effect of when I converted a top-loading bridge to a string-through on one of my other guitars.

Depending on how much of your tone you get from stomp boxes or how hot your pickups are, this may or may not be an issue for you. I approached my second Bigsby Tele installation differently. First, I flipped the control plate back around to the normal position so the arm wouldn't interfere with the volume knob (the switch tip presents a much smaller target). Second, the guitar had humbuckers in both positions. My guess is that the hotter pickups compensated for the lack of coupling. The tone loss was much less noticeable in any case.
    Well, I've got the hottest pickups out there: the Duncan' Invader, so I'd say I'm good on that one 😉 really, my only concern is with the old mounting holes for the hard-tail I have in now. Those would look mighty ugly under the bigsby. I also looked at the stetsbar, but those are wayyyyyyy expensive, at least on my budget.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Hah! Duncan Invaders with a Bigsby? How's that for Yin and Yang?
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

FT Member
    Thanks

Right? I would personally get a stetsbar, or a Floyd. But the stetsbar is expensive on its own. As for the Floyd, I could get a decent one at a hundred bucks, but the routing and getting it installed would cost me a whole butt-ton

FT Member
    Thanks

here she is, I believe before I put the invader. I didn't exactly look at the image