Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    FT Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Buena park
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Bigsby to replace hard-tail bridge???

    Is it possible to stick a bigsby on a hard-tail guitar? I have a Jim Root Tele, and I personally think it'd be awesome with a bigsby. But I'm afraid there's be the mounting holes showing

  2. #2
    Fender Deluxe
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    13,744
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 351 Times in 317 Posts

    Default

    This one requires no drilling:



    If you want the old-school Bigsby aesthetics,
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

  3. #3
    Fender Deluxe
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    13,744
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 351 Times in 317 Posts

    Default



    Not sure what the bridge pickup cavity looks like on yours, but I suspect you wouldn't need to put that block of wood in the corner.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Posts
    39,350
    Thanks
    193
    Thanked 286 Times in 275 Posts

    Default

    Have you played a guitar with a Bigsby before? They are an acquired skill, and actually can get in the way with some player's hands. And, as some at this Forum will testify, they will affect the tones of your guitar, some say positively, some not so much. They also can have an adverse effect on tuning stability in some cases. If you haven't played one before, I would suggest that you borrow or at least spend a good deal of time with one before undertaking this conversion.

    I write this as someone who currently owns a Bigsby-equipped guitar, and one who has installed one on a favorite guitar, and subsequently removed it, and that process did leave some visible holes.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

  5. #5
    FT Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Buena park
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Have you played a guitar with a Bigsby before? They are an acquired skill, and actually can get in the way with some player's hands. And, as some at this Forum will testify, they will affect the tones of your guitar, some say positively, some not so much. They also can have an adverse effect on tuning stability in some cases. If you haven't played one before, I would suggest that you borrow or at least spend a good deal of time with one before undertaking this conversion.

    I write this as someone who currently owns a Bigsby-equipped guitar, and one who has installed one on a favorite guitar, and subsequently removed it, and that process did leave some visible holes.
    I have played a guitar armed with a bigsby before, but not to a significant amount of time. I'll take what you say into consideration because I really don't want to put one in and regret it. Also, how would it generally change the tone? Would if give the guitar a higher end tone?

  6. #6
    Fender Lover
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland, Orygun
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,819
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts

    Default

    My experience was that it made the tone thinner. I'm guessing that it's because there isn't as good a vibratory coupling between the strings and the body, hence less resonance. It was the exact reverse of the effect of when I converted a top-loading bridge to a string-through on one of my other guitars.

    Depending on how much of your tone you get from stomp boxes or how hot your pickups are, this may or may not be an issue for you. I approached my second Bigsby Tele installation differently. First, I flipped the control plate back around to the normal position so the arm wouldn't interfere with the volume knob (the switch tip presents a much smaller target). Second, the guitar had humbuckers in both positions. My guess is that the hotter pickups compensated for the lack of coupling. The tone loss was much less noticeable in any case.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

  7. #7
    FT Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Buena park
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teleblooz View Post
    My experience was that it made the tone thinner. I'm guessing that it's because there isn't as good a vibratory coupling between the strings and the body, hence less resonance. It was the exact reverse of the effect of when I converted a top-loading bridge to a string-through on one of my other guitars.

    Depending on how much of your tone you get from stomp boxes or how hot your pickups are, this may or may not be an issue for you. I approached my second Bigsby Tele installation differently. First, I flipped the control plate back around to the normal position so the arm wouldn't interfere with the volume knob (the switch tip presents a much smaller target). Second, the guitar had humbuckers in both positions. My guess is that the hotter pickups compensated for the lack of coupling. The tone loss was much less noticeable in any case.
    Well, I've got the hottest pickups out there: the Duncan' Invader, so I'd say I'm good on that one 😉 really, my only concern is with the old mounting holes for the hard-tail I have in now. Those would look mighty ugly under the bigsby. I also looked at the stetsbar, but those are wayyyyyyy expensive, at least on my budget.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Posts
    39,350
    Thanks
    193
    Thanked 286 Times in 275 Posts

    Default

    Hah! Duncan Invaders with a Bigsby? How's that for Yin and Yang?
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

  9. #9
    FT Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Buena park
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Hah! Duncan Invaders with a Bigsby? How's that for Yin and Yang?
    Right? I would personally get a stetsbar, or a Floyd. But the stetsbar is expensive on its own. As for the Floyd, I could get a decent one at a hundred bucks, but the routing and getting it installed would cost me a whole butt-ton

  10. #10
    FT Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Buena park
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Hah! Duncan Invaders with a Bigsby? How's that for Yin and Yang?
    here she is, I believe before I put the invader. I didn't exactly look at the image

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The words Fender®, Telecaster®, Stratocaster® and other Fender-owned brands, and the associated headstock designs, are registered trademarks of the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
FenderTalk is an independent, member supported forum and is not affiliated in anyway with the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.


GearTalk Network



IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.



©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© FenderTalk.com 2010 All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB