Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Any Ideas??

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Thanks Capn... I have almost no experience with small coils like these but have quite a lot with charging equipment.
    DC generators/ AC alternators, etc. But from my experience with stators, for instance, I've never seen OL from a short. If I did, I would know there is a meter malfunction. At least checking from one end of the field to ground. They are both auto-ranging meters, so not sure how much resistance I'd need to go past the "red line", lol.... Maybe a trans-Atlantic cable?

I always check both meters both ways you suggest whenever I power them up; They both work as they should.

So, still not sure how I could get zero reading from this pickup... Unless it's somehow 'open' without being shorted??
    I guess theoretically that would be possible, but find it hard to believe that if the coil somehow opened within the pickup that the two ends wouldn't touch the next coil and re-establish a circuit...

Maybe I'm still missing something, but feel I should either be able to get SOME KIND of ohms reading checking as described by the method that Mike posted... Maybe I'm thinking oranges and you all are apple guys... But hard to imagine that I need to relearn how to interpret my meters due to the fact that the pickups are smaller with (possibly) more coils...
    Am I wrong interpreting an open, short, or resistance the same- due to the fact that we're talking guitars and not charging systems? That might be the problem... I have a 'little knowledge' but in the wrong field? LOL.. Now, THAT would make sense to me.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

If you're getting a zero reading (0 ohms) then the pickup wire is shorted fairly close by, so as not to cause much (measurable) resistance. Might be just the main cable shorting to earth somewhere along its length and not the windings themselves.

Might be worth opening up the pickup casing to see if you can unsolder the pickup cable from the windings on the bobbin and attaching new wires.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

OK... Tried something I hadn't: I have about the reading I should have on the north coil and nothing on the south (just over 4 ohms). And if I wire them to check both at once, I end up with a lower reading (about 20% lower). There almost has to be something loose, though, because yesterday I was testing the same way (both together) and got nothing. Repeatedly. With both meters...

So back to your last post: I took the four small brass screws off the back and nothing moved. How do I go about opening up the 'pickup casing'? Without fragging the whole thing, I mean... (I have that capability!!)

Glad I'm not payin' y'all by the hour!! Sure appreciate yours and Mikes help on this!!

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

What size hammer are you using?
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Steve, I never asked - does that Pearly Gates have a cover on it? Your captain is steering you into uncharted waters, but it sounds like you have little to lose at this point.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

This might help with getting the cover off:

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online..._polarity.html

There's Stew Mac video out there somewhere too that does use a hammer!

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Fenderfied
    Thanks

yahbut... No cover. :) I DID think removal with a hammer would be more entertaining and less informative...

Fenderfied
    Thanks

OK... got it apart... Still no continuity on one of the windings. Carefully untaped it to find more tape and goo. I think one of the end wires had come loose from the wound wire. I have both of them loose now. And the ends located. But still open between them which means a short, according to the good Captain. Although, with a short, the meter usually flashes a few times before a final reading. But didn't this time. Either way, I don't think this is going further.
    I do have a remedy, though:

Guna order a new one.

Thanks, All, for your suggestions, thoughts, assistance, and, most likely prayers that I would just shut up about it.
    It would have been nice to fix it and an appropriate lyrical analogy would have been "If I'da shot her the first time I ever thought about it I'd be outa jail by now." (Ross and Rotten) But, for sure: A learning experience. And a short wait ahead which will give me time to install the connecting improvements provided by our good Doctor. Thanks again, Mike!! What a cool place to hang out!!

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Check your messages, Bad Guy.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.