Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

No - 47 for singles, 22 for buckers.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

badxmpl (12-11-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I guess it depends what your ears tell you.

I found this on another forum:

This is it in a nutshell. An .047 is an octave lower than an .022, just as a bass is an octave lower than a guitar.

Long ago, Fender used .047s and Gibson used .022s, and this gave rise to the fallacy, "Use a .047 for single coils and a .022 for humbuckers." Obviously, someone forgot to consider P-90s.

The real question is, "Why on Earth did Leo put an .047 in the Broadcaster?" I think he did it because it sounded good on "5". Silly boy, he expected people to set their tone knobs on "5" and vary them a little bit from there, just like they did with their radio's tone knob. Poor old Leo also thought guitar players wanted clean amps, heh, heh.

There is no correlation between the number of coils a pickup has and the "proper" value of the capacitor. There is a correlation between the DC resistance and the Farads, but these differences don't extend an octave, so it's rather moot. The reason for choosing one cap value over another is the merely answer to the question, "Where on the fretboard do you want the tone control to start lowering the volume?"

A .047 will not only reduce the overtones, it will reduce the volume of the notes themselves, and it's not very useful on"0" if you play above the 7th fret. For this reason, both FMIC and G&L have moved to using .022s in many of their modern guitars.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

And the beat goes on.... What happens to tone if you just ground the "cap tab" and don't run one? Or leave it open; ungrounded? Nothing?
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

I never cease to be amazed at your encyclopedic knowledge, Cap'n!

Srini

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Is this the wiring you are using?

Fenderfied
    Thanks

That's it.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Tell me about the pickups and cosmetics (I'm trying to picture what these guitars were like, especially in the first year - don't follow them much, and from what I've seen so far, it sounds like what must have been a very marketable innovation from FMIC at the time).

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badxmpl View Post
    And the beat goes on.... What happens to tone if you just ground the "cap tab" and don't run one? Or leave it open; ungrounded? Nothing?
    If you ground the cap tab you'll have a short circuit to earth for that pickup - lots of hum I expect.

If you don't run a cap, then you'll have max bright tone - everything goes to the output jack from that pickup. Fender effectively do just this with their "no load pots" fitted on some guitars. In the detent position the cap is taken out of the circuit for max brightness (even at 10 when the cap is shut off it has a very small influence on tone due to its inherent resistence in the circuit).
    Last edited by Captain Bb; 12-13-2017 at 06:35 AM.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Bb For This Useful Post:

badxmpl (12-13-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Tell me about the pickups and cosmetics (I'm trying to picture what these guitars were like, especially in the first year - don't follow them much, and from what I've seen so far, it sounds like what must have been a very marketable innovation from FMIC at the time).
    The neck and middle are TX specials and the bucker is a SD Pearly Gates. Paint was Oly White, C/A Red, Shoreline Gold, and Teal Green metallic (as is mine). Shell pickguards...

I have Fender PNs for pickups, etc if anyone's interested....
    There's more info here and some BG info as well....Lonestar Strat 010-7900(02 ('96 to '00).PDF

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I don't know why I hadn't thought to do this before, but I finally measured the resistance on the Pearly Gates pickup today. Under 2 ohms in the first position and under 3 in the second. My guess is "something is wrong with my baby".
    I only have one other 'bucker installed and it's on my 52 HRRI Tele. Measures almost 8. Am I on to something here or do ya lose ohms when a pickup is split, as the Strat is?