Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Ideas??

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default Any Ideas??

I completely rewired my 1st year Lone Star Strat because I didn't like the look of the existing soldering at all. I thought it wouldn't change much but it went from being my favorite Strat to only being played to see if it's "Healed itself". In a nutshell, here's what happened (to my ears, anyway). The single coils got less bright; the SD bucker got much brighter. (and goes to "brittle" in the second position) Both symptoms are with the tone pots dimed. Neither symptom was anything I wanted. Anyone have an idea why?
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Did you replace any components or just re-flow the existing solder joints? If you did not change pots or capacitor, you might have over-heated one. Also, double-check the humbucker and middle pickup leads - a brittle sound in the number 2 position is typical when the polarity of the middle pickup and split coil of the humbucker are reversed.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

badxmpl (11-27-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I changed both caps but no pots. The previous assembly was not according to the factory diagram~ reason number II for the job. But since the pots are wide open, the caps don't even come into play, do they?
    BTW, I went by the original wiring diagram with SUPPOSEDLY the correct color code wires.... Any chance they might not be "correct"?

ALSO: when you said "overheated one" did you mean caps or pots? I did use cheap caps but am under the impression that unless the pot is dialed back, the cap is bypassed... is that incorrect?

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

You know more than I do about the electronics of pots and caps. I've never fried a cap and I think that if you fry a pot you can feel increased resistance turning the knob. I recently worked on two HSS strats and went through a wide variety of wiring readjustments. Of course, one was using GFS pickups, so I will have to go back to my correspondence with them and will let you know what I came up with. Too tired tonight - just finished working since 8 am. Would be curious about the caps. Anything Orange Drop or better should be beyond question, and again, I don't know about the electronics between the pot and cap. Damn, I got so sick of studying after medical school, residency, countless board exams and continued competency that I'm too damned winded to go back and learn even basic electronics. Gotta say, though, that might just be my number one passion once I retire.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

badxmpl (12-02-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I wouldn't say I know more about anything LOL... I just seem to remember that if a pot is wide open, the cap is "out of the loop" so to speak. and I could be wrong about that. The pots feel like they always have and work the same.... I get that you are "caught up" on your studying... Just thinking about it makes my head hurt! Thanks for your thoughts, Mike...

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Wow, this is so far above my pay grade, I shouldn't even say anything - but I'll say that I'm befuddled!

Srini

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

badxmpl (12-02-2017)

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Me too, I can't read a schematic much more complicated than wiring up a Strat! I leave the tough stuff to my amp geek friend, he knows that stuff very well, and frequently talks way over my head.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

badxmpl (12-02-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

It's possible that in restoring the wiring to it's original configuration that you might have removed a mid boost or somesuch modification. What prompted you to get in there?

NM, gray solder. Sounds like a treble bleed mod, but that only makes sense if you roll off the tone some...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Joelski144 For This Useful Post:

badxmpl (12-02-2017)

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Gray solder means a cold solder joint, one that was not allowed to cool properly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

badxmpl (12-02-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Gray solder means a cold solder joint, one that was not allowed to cool properly.
    That part I get. That's why I re-soldered it. Didn't like the technique the "tech" used. I have a couple ideas but will reserve them until I do some testing..

I still would like to hear any thoughts anyone might have!
    thanks, people!