Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default I admit it, I'm a big flake!

Alright, alright, wrong forum, I know, but this is where my friends hang out, so there!

Well, in the ongoing saga of my move-to-India plans, I bought a carbon fiber nylon string Rainsong a few weeks back. The idea was that a parlor sized guitar like that would be easy to take on the plane with me, and that I'd have something to sit around on the couch in India and play without an amp - especially since my mom is one of the few people on the planet who actually likes to listen to me noodle. Well, I have to tell you guys, I simply could not bond with that thing. Its not like I didn't try, but as each day passed, I found it harder and harder to spend more than 10 minutes playing it and, truth be told, it was ruining my life! So last week it went on ebay, and out the door.

Now, here comes the flake part. I've never been able to understand the PRS appeal and have gotten into my fair share of arguments with PRS fanatics. Who wants that pretentious quilty, flamey look, right? I mean, is it a museum piece or something you actually play, right? Nevertheless, I found myself spending increasing amounts of time watching PRS YouTube clips, and realized that I didn't really mind the look of a couple of those S2 babies, particularly the Mira. So, GAS in my heart, I trekked over to Chuck's, to GC and to a wonderful small store in Falls Church, VA called Action Music and played a few S2s, but nobody had a Mira. Still, I got to try out the S2 necks, since they're all the same.

On Sunday, throwing caution to the wind, I figured I could do no worse than the Rainsong, and with its sale proceeds burning a hole in my Paypal account, I pulled the trigger on a black 2014 Mira semi hollow. It came in yesterday and left me speechless right away. Not a scratch on it, flawless in appearance, it had an understated look so uncharacteristic of the typical PRS "look at me" demeanor. Strings pulled off, polish and fretboard conditioner applied, brand new NYXL 10s loaded, a minor truss rod and bridge tweak executed, and I was treated to an axe that practically played itself. I only had to stretch the strings twice and the tuning has been rock solid since. Granted I've only played it unplugged since my buddy Jim has my Viking, but it has an acoustic ring that is outrageously sweet! The fit and finish are just perfect - no birds or bindings, just a delightful neck. It feels like its 20 years old, and that I've played it all those years - and 6.2 lbs to boot! How in the world do they do that?????

The only thing I plan on doing to it is to get Phil to set me up with a spare pickguard with a slightly different switching system - just for fun. I figure I can swap out pickguards without soldering if I undo the output jack and keep the whole assembly intact. But for now, none of this matters, because I haven't plugged it in yet. But there's something about this baby that has completely won me over.

I'll post a picture when the sun comes out tomorrow.

Oh well, I guess PRS isn't just a pretty face! Now I'm definitely going to have to man up and drive over the dang bridge and do the factory tour!

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

It’s always exciting when a new door opens. Expensive, but so satisfying.
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

And here she is, in all her glory!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I am absolutely with you on the good looks of a Mira. That looks sharp. I had a Custom 24 in the mid 90s and just couldn’t bond with it. I think I was too afraid to get fingerprints on it. It was a huge purchase for me so after the buyer’s remorse I traded it for a much more interior guitar. I should have kept it as now the American made ones cost at least twice as much as in the 90s.
    Enjoy that guitar!
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Hahaha, thats so funny, Wes! I had the exact same experience - also in the mid 90s - with a Suhr custom that I had outfitted to the max. When it came in I was laden with guilt every time I took it out of its case, afraid I'd soil the stunning koa top or smudge up the gold hardware. Like you, I ended up selling it because I realized it was useless owning a guitar I was too nervous to play.

I can't stop playing the Mira. Every time I look at it, it draws me in and doesn't let me put it down. I'm really lucky I got it for 800 bucks including shipping.

Thanks, Wes!

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Oh no, Srini has gone over to the dark side! Oh well, enjoy it and play it in health!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.