Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default PreSonus Faderport 8

If, like me, you think there must be a better way to work with a DAW, this piece of gear might be worth looking at. Apparently it was announced at the Winter NAMM last year, so its not that old. Its essentially a control surface for a variety of DAWs, but works most seamlessly and comprehensively with PreSonus StudioOne (which is included) in native mode. There are two other modes, Mackie Control for DAWs like Cubase and HUI for DAWs like Pro Tools. Since I'm pretty much tied to Cubase, I had a few extra steps to take to get it configured, and wouldn't you know, the user manual is useless for this step. I found a good YouTube clip that takes you through each step, so it wasn't too bad.

The faders are motorized, so they move to position themselves wherever the DAW settings are. Its rather entertaining to watch it reset when you go from song to song. You can assign many of the controls to do whatever you want, so that could be good and bad.

In any event, at this point, I doubt its doing much to speed up my workflow, but its a nice-to-have thing, certainly not essential.

Srini
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Toys are good, more toys are better! Have fun, mate!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks, Stan! Oh, I forgot to mention..its $ 499, so I guess not too terribly bad.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Very cool. I needed one that fit into a tighter space, so I ended up with an Icon Platform-M, which lacks a few features that the PreSonus has, but it does everything I wanted and sits right where it should on my desk.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Hmmm...looks like I should have got the Icon!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Well, the Icon is working very nicely for me. But the PreSonus looks like a neat unit, too.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

The PreSonus does have a lot of capability, and I'm certainly not complaining, but the Icon is smaller as you pointed out, and I could have fit it in better. But I think the main factor I noticed is that the Icon has 9 faders, which means groups of 8 plus a master. The PreSonus has eight, which means seven plus a master, which is a little awkward. Nothing significant, especially when you're doing sub-mixes, but the Icon looks like it would have more than fit my needs - and probably cheaper too.

Srini

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Yeah. In the neighborhood of $350. If it's not too late to return the FaderPort, you might consider trading it back for an Icon. I really like mine.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

I'm afraid I'm stuck with it (again, no real complaints!), because Sweetwater doesn't carry the Icon. Its really not worth going the ebay route, selling and all that....