Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Stan, I'm guessing that is a solid piece of Northern Ash, and definitely not Swamp Ash. Handsome grain! Of course, the grain pattern might not matter, depending on which finish Linda has in mind.
    Happy you guys like the body as well. I'm covering her up in black, so the pretty grain will be my little secret! True beauty comes from within, right? Haha.

FT Member
    Thanks

Default UPDATE

Okay first real update. As much as I like the body, the '72 deluxe bodies have a belly cut out. Since I want to get as close to the real thing as possible I decided to go for it. I havent done anything like this before, but luckily there is a lot of info on the web. I don't have any powertools lying around but I kinda liked the idea of hand filing this thing so I went for that approach. Not using powertools also gave me the feeling that I could screw up less quickly. I look the shape from the original diagrams and hand drew the curvy lines on the back.

Me and the vile quickly became frenemies. I loved seeing the gradual progress, but my hands and arms didn't like the gradual upcoming pain. I also became frenemies with the vacuum cleaner because eventhough she cleaned everything up nicely, she also showed all the areas that still had to be done. Took me about three hours to get to where I am now. Needs lots more fine sanding but I'm actually pretty proud at the results knowing this is my first time processing wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArieRin For This Useful Post:

SAguitar (10-27-2017)

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Nice progress! Man, that takes some nerve, Linda... just grabbing hand tools and digging into a guitar body. Rock on!
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StudioMike For This Useful Post:

ArieRin (10-27-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Okay, this project has now got my attention - that's a great job Linda!

When you've done with the fine sanding, rub mentholated spirit on the wood and let it dry, then re-sand with fine grit.

The meths will make the fine 'hairs' of wood stand up and once dried they will harden so you can re-sand and get the flattest finish before painting.

Hope it helps.

Bb
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

FT Member
    Thanks

Default Thom Yorke's '72 Fender Telecaster Deluxe - DYI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post
    Okay, this project has now got my attention - that's a great job Linda!

When you've done with the fine sanding, rub mentholated spirit on the wood and let it dry, then re-sand with fine grit.

The meths will make the fine 'hairs' of wood stand up and once dried they will harden so you can re-sand and get the flattest finish before painting.

Hope it helps.

Bb
    Thanks Captain! I'll definitely give that a try. Gotta work this weekend but next week I've got more spare time to work on the guitar. And I have to find out what mentholated spirit is in Dutch.. haha!

EDIT: Is it also called "denatured alcohol"? Because then I know the Dutch product name, we call that "brand spiritus"

Nice weekend all!
    Last edited by ArieRin; 10-27-2017 at 04:33 PM.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Mentholated spirit is ethyl alcohol that's had some things added to it (methanol, which is poisonous, and menthol, which makes it disgusting) to keep people from drinking it. It's also known as "denatured" alcohol." It's usually dyed a funky color... most often violet or purple, from what I've seen.

So, it's 95% ethanol... "white lightning," if you will.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StudioMike For This Useful Post:

ArieRin (10-27-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StudioMike View Post
    Mentholated spirit is ethyl alcohol that's had some things added to it (methanol, which is poisonous, and menthol, which makes it disgusting) to keep people from drinking it. It's also known as "denatured" alcohol." It's usually dyed a funky color... most often violet or purple, from what I've seen.

So, it's 95% ethanol... "white lightning," if you will.
    Yes, great. I know exactly what you mean now. Thanks guys!

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

It's looking great! I did that to my Telecaster, and then went crazy on the front side and made a forearm relief too, like Stratocasters have. If you go for both of them, you get a guitar body that hugs you back!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

ArieRin (10-29-2017)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

You've got skillz, Linda! Nice work. This is going to be a wonderful project. I can't wait to see on which pickups you finally decide!
    ~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MykWiz For This Useful Post:

ArieRin (10-29-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

Feels like Christmas!

I had to be in Houston for work for the weekend, and got a chance to go to a large guitar center. We don't have much like those around Amsterdam so it was a good opportunity to search for some parts. Got some hardware, and was happy to find out things are cheaper in the US.

The neck is probably coming next week, along with the rest of the hardware. Because of the body I need a 4 screw neck plate instead of the 3 bolts one, so that's the first concession I have to make.

I decided to let Curtis Novak make the WRHB for me and I am extremely excited! Getting those in a couple of weeks.

Enough time for me to sand and paint and polish the body the upcoming days. Will update you of course!