Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fender Lover
    Thanks

Welcome to FT, Linda!
    I, for one, am looking forward to your Thom Yorke build! You can't go wrong with a '72 Tele Deluxe!
    ~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Welcome, Linda. One of my favorite guitar players is Jan Akkerman, and I bet you've seen him a few times!

Srini

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StudioMike View Post
    Welcome aboard, Linda. Your clear delineation between "building" and "assembling" makes me think you're A-OK.
    Mike makes a good point, and the lines are blurry. I have a few sources who can cut a body and a neck to my specs and provide a very high-quality product. I might buy a band saw and a router table when I retire, but the truth is that these folks have CNC machines that cut these pieces, and there are "builders" who use these resources ( example: http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/ ) If I used a band saw, a router table and hand-carved the neck, yes - it would be a true build, but the man-hours would command a huge price for most folks. I would love to get there (in high school, I told my folks I wanted to go to the Roberto-Venn School of Luthierie, but they wouldn't pay), but in the meantime I have been able to put together some very nice custom guitars for a number of folks, starting with the grain-filling and moving on with the finish, electronics, sometimes the fretting, nut-cutting and setup. It is much more affordable in most cases, and the product is usually on par with a guitar priced much higher. Of course, the re-sale potential is not there, but I strive to make it a guitar that doesn't get sold.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Mike makes a good point, and the lines are blurry. I have a few sources who can cut a body and a neck to my specs and provide a very high-quality product. I might buy a band saw and a router table when I retire, but the truth is that these folks have CNC machines that cut these pieces, and there are "builders" who use these resources ( example: http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/ ) If I used a band saw, a router table and hand-carved the neck, yes - it would be a true build, but the man-hours would command a huge price for most folks. I would love to get there (in high school, I told my folks I wanted to go to the Roberto-Venn School of Luthierie, but they wouldn't pay), but in the meantime I have been able to put together some very nice custom guitars for a number of folks, starting with the grain-filling and moving on with the finish, electronics, sometimes the fretting, nut-cutting and setup. It is much more affordable in most cases, and the product is usually on par with a guitar priced much higher. Of course, the re-sale potential is not there, but I strive to make it a guitar that doesn't get sold.
    That's a very good point. Nowadays, it almost seems pointless not to take advantage of CNC machines and their precision. I guess every method has its place. I was watching clips of the PRS production line, and one of the points made was that they would never burden a craftsperson with something that a CNC can do faster and better and, by the same token, they would never try to get a machine to do what only an experienced cratfsperson can - and should - do. On a tangent, I really should take the PRS factory tour before I leave, given where I live - but I need to muster up the courage to drive over the Bay Bridge. Man, that is one scary bridge!!!

Nevertheless, I think just about every player understands the level of hand craftsmanship that goes into every guitar, even if the body and neck were cut with CNCs or the the nut was cut on a Plek Pro. Like you mentioned, grain-filling, finishing, electronics and setup are huge aspects of getting a guitar to play and sound great.

One thing I've wondered about recently, though, is the neck building process. After watching these PRS videos (same with Suhr, by the way), they make one minor pass on the CNC, then let the neck rest and settle for a day or two, then another, then another. Apparently it takes them a month to get through one neck. This way, the wood has completely settled and stabilized by the time it has been fully formed - only then will they glue the fretboard. Compare that with Tommy, who I consider to be a great builder from experience, who finishes a neck in a couple of days. I must be missing something here. All my USACG necks have been extremely stable over the years, my oldest guitar being almost 20 years old.

Interesting!

Srini

FT Member
    Thanks

Welcome Linda!