Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Default A new Strat project - does Paul own ya?

Found this body on sale at USACG, dirt cheap. It weighs all of 2 lbs 7 oz!!! A bit of research and it seems that this is a very cool species: Paulownia. Fastest-growing hardwood tree in the world, second-lightest wood after Balsa. but the highest strength-to-weight ratio of all woods.

Couldn't resist - it's a beautiful 1-piece body, H-S-S, and I also got a nice thin, very plain, clean maple neck dirt cheap as well. Already found a Bare Knuckles Abraxas for the bridge slot. Thinking powerful Zexcoils for the neck and middle slots. Kind of cool going into this project with no cosmetic idea whatsoever, but I don't think I will settle for "boring" this time around. Should have the wood in a week or so and will post pics.

Remember that name, kids: "Paulownia"!!

http://www.ipaulownia.co.uk/paulowni...why-paulownia/
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Oh boy! Can't wait. Paulownia sounds rather intriguing...
    ~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Hmmm.... sounds interesting... Ya might have to put counterweights in the body so the neck isn't too heavy

Wait.... More boring than brown? Not that brown wasn't a nice looking guitar; but in comparison to its predecessors.... Maybe a black and white Holstein paint job? (I'll keep any more ideas to myself)
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Bad,

Mike said he was NOT going to settle for boring this time around. I read it the same way you did the first time!

~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MykWiz View Post
    Bad,

Mike said he was NOT going to settle for boring this time around. I read it the same way you did the first time!

~MW

Right you are, sir!! I should know by now to at least wait until I've had one cup of coffee before making any commentary!! Oh, well... Good thing we're all friends here!! In that case, a Holstein paint job might make sense....

Sorry, Mike!
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I like the resonance of light guitars, and this one is ultra-super-crazy light for a Strat body. My Zencaster's chambered mahogany body came in at 3lbs 8ozs, and is just barely perfectly balanced between body and neck. But I'd bet you already have a plan for lightening the neck load... I'm very interested in how it turns out!
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

It will be a light neck (0.80" at the nut) and there's always the trem block. I am going to have to wait and see the wood up close and personal to decide whether to go with a clear or opaque finish.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

And you could always save a few ounces out on the end by using a Tele neck! Sounds like another winner coming up.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

tele savalas (08-03-2017)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

...or, if you're still having problems with it being neck-heavy, you could always throw a 2Tek bridge on it!
    ~MW

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Another light neck suggestion: the neck from an old Squire Bullet is light, fast, produces a fine tone and is an absolute blast to play. It's like driving a go-kart.

These 80s MIJ necks are the ones. Apparently they're in some demand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Fender-...oAAOSwuxFYxtTK
    Last edited by StudioMike; 08-07-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest