Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default Lone Star Strat 5-way Switch

So, the SDuncan humbucker in this thing has sounded kinda flat since a local shop opened it up and put in a new switch. I was working and too busy at the time and it seemed 'ok'.... But I remember it used to sound really full and now it just doesn't have "it" any more. So... Opened up and am kind of aghast at the cold appearing solder joints, so I'm gunna completely redo it. Got a diagram from F and it looks as if the original super switch originally had 6 tabs per section. You can see by my pic that the actual switch only has 5. What am I missing here? How should I interpret it~ or did the 'tech' use the wrong switch? Originally it was a super switch... not sure if that's important or not... maybe just less crowded??
    BTW, the single pups in this sound awesome to my ears... and didn't used to before the 'work'...!!

Anyway... any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, "Lucky"

Addendum: After closer inspection with a bit more light, I see there is a 'sixth' tab spaced further down. My wiring doesn't seem at all like the schematic I downloaded from Fender, though... so I guess I'll keep looking at schematics and see how many of them agree....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by badxmpl; 09-20-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

First thing I'd do is wet each joint with a hot soldering iron to take care of any suspected dry joints.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

That sounds kinky, Cap'n!!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Whatever floats your boat Doc ;)

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

I love the smell of hot solder in the morning. It smells like victory.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

CustomWes (09-26-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I Have a new switch. Guna start over. Got an old band mate/school bud visiting (haven't seen him in almost FIFTY years. (holy crap!) So when he leaves, I'm gunna tin all the contacts and then move forward. Cap'n, I've since seen the 'tech' work. She loads the iron with solder and transfers that to the joint. You know.... kinda like you'd move drywall mud from the bucket to the seam. Sheesh. No wonder....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

That's so wrong - you don't paint the solder on like that! The iron just applies the heat but you need to 'wet' it to make for perfect heat transfer. Once you have a 'wet' contact you add the solder to the pool (or wire if you're tinning). Not the iron.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

When I later saw her doing that on someone else's guitar, I freaked!! She's so good at other stuff; acoustic repairs, etc...
    These joints all look like they've been galvanized... instead of like silver... I've been soldering a long time and had NEVER seen anyone do it like that....It never occurred to me that a tech could be so good in so many areas and so bad in ANY ONE area. She coulda done a you tube video on "how NOT to solder ANYTHING"...
    Oh, well... I'm looking forward to do doing it right.

By the way, Cap'n; in the US, "tinning" means pre-soldering each part to be joined; then just heating them together so the solder from each part flows instantly toward the other part- instantly joining with a minimum of heat absorption. I couldn't tell from your context if English 'tinning' is the same thing... If not, please expand.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Tinning is the same both sides of the pond.

To clarify: I 'wet' the (clean) iron tip with a small amount of solder then place it under the bare wire so there's good heat transfer (i.e. not a dry iron). I then add solder to the top side of the wire as I run the iron underneath along it's length to tin it.

Using a 'wet' iron is even more important when tinning a pot casing (for example) as it keeps the heat localised to the area you are working on and prevents overly heating unwanted areas. In this example you're then adding more solder to the small pool to tin an area of the pot casing.

As you say, soldering the tinned wire to the tinned casing is then a matter of heating both together so the solder flows between them. The end result should be a neat & shiny silver finish.
    Last edited by Captain Bb; 09-28-2017 at 06:41 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Bb For This Useful Post:

MykWiz (10-02-2017)