Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Aw, now you had to go and mention ziti!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

And there's an Italian place (well, lots of them, actually... the North Bay was settled by Spaniards and Italians) in Santa Rosa called La Vera that serves the best piccola dish of ziti al forno I have ever tasted. It is rich and cheesy, the sausage is amazing and the whole dish stays piping hot to the very last bite.

"Ohhh... I made myself sad." - Professor Hubert T. Farnsworth
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Fender Lover
    Thanks

This thread is rather topical for me. In solidarity with my wife, I recently followed an anti-inflammatory meal plan created by Dr. Amy Myers. It was no carbs, no sugars, no legumes, no nightshade veggies, heavy on cruciferous veggies, chicken, salmon, grass-fed beef, sweet potatoes, etc.

It was a 30 day meal plan. I had read how all of these people swear by it. How they felt like crap for the first seven days or so. Then they had these moments of clarity after that, the brain fog lifted, they had so much energy, they were so much better than before. I lost about 10 pounds in two weeks. But my moment of clarity never arrived. I did feel less swollen, gassy, bloated in my digestive track. However, there were days where my arms and legs felt as if they weighed 100 lbs. each! On those days, walking from my car into the building at work was about all that I could handle.

About two weeks in, I discovered that cruciferous veggies can wreak havoc with your thyroid and I have hypothyroidism in the first place. I contacted my PCP and he told me the meal plan could very well be having an effect on my thyroid. He suggested I stop the meal plan. I felt like I was abandoning my wife - who was trying this meal plan for medical reasons - so I did not stop until day 22 when she started to feel exactly like I was.

So I went back to my regular diet (which was already gluten and dairy-free), but actually went on a "sugar bender" for a day or two where I was consuming WAY more than I would have normally. I completely empathize with the "sugar addict" description in an earlier post! Man, let me tell you that it didn't take long for me to start feeling like CRAP again! My digestive tract went back to being bloated, swollen, gassy. My joints in my knees and hands became swollen again. I realized that even though I didn't feel that lack of energy and like my arms and legs weighed 100 lbs. that I didn't like the way that I felt after reintroducing the sugar back into my diet. Now, I'm sure the sugar bender didn't help much, but I now know that I have to find some happy medium.

Maybe it's going back on the anti-inflammatory meal plan, but adding legumes. Maybe it's some other combination, but it's CLEAR to me that the sugar is NOT something that my body tolerates well. I am going for a test to see if I might have Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) which would explain the bloating, gassy, uncomfortable feeling that I've realized I have with sugar back in my diet.

It's comforting to me to see that you guys have noticed similar effects of sugar on your bodies too!
    ~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

FenderTalker
    Thanks

MykWiz, for me the primary goal is diabetes control. All the other wonderful heath benefits were a complete surprise to me. Here's a new one... I had been growing these tiny bumps on my forehead. After almost 3 weeks without sugar, they're gone.

If you already have a thyroid thing, then you have some special needs. But anybody who goes on this kind of diet NEEDS to eat legumes to avoid malnourishment. I don't think anyone recommending that you go on what is essentially a restricted-carb-and-calorie diet and insists on cutting out legumes or "nightshade vegetables" may not have their science completely dialed in.

The main thing, in any case, is to STOP EATING SUGAR except on rare occasions. As The Rev. Ivan Stang teaches us in The Book Of The Subgenius: "If sugar was discovered today, it would be a controlled substance. Yeah, cocaine is pretty damn bad for you, but at least it's not half your kid's diet!!"
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StudioMike For This Useful Post:

MykWiz (09-12-2017)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Mike,

Oh, she has her science dialed in. She is a medical doctor and cured her own auto-immune (Grave's) disease after Western medicine was failing her. https://www.amymyersmd.com/ There are also many testimonies from other people whom she has helped. For some reason, my wife and I just didn't have any luck. I am going to try an abridged version again. I don't like the way I feel now.

Yeah, I agree with the good Reverend, sugar should be a controlled substance!

~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Funny you guys should mention the coke comparison. During my heart checkup in July, I mentioned to my cardiologist that I had recently cut out sugar (oh man, I can't help thinking of Kramer..."I watch what I eat, I recently cut out fructose"..don't get me started on Seinfeld!) and I felt like a drug addict. He said that there are studies that indicate the sugar is just as addictive, if not more, than coke, that it triggers responses from the same parts of the brain. He said its ironic how, even in a cardiologists' office, whenever someone has a birthday, they bring out this big cake and everybody gorges themselves, and that they might just as well bring out a stash of coke.

By the way, its either the third or fourth day that I've been using Ceylon cinnamon in my green tea. Its totally an acquired taste, for me anyway, but the theory is that it cuts out sugar cravings. I'll keep you guys posted on whether that's really true.

Srini

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Garcinia Cambogia, which should be plentiful and cheap in India, is great for cravings. Purported health benefits of cinnamon (and I assume this refers to both Ceylon cinnamon and the more common Cassia cinnamon) include:

Antioxidants
    Increased sensitivity to insulin
    Lower fasting blood sugar levels (presumably due to the previous item)
    May help with neuro-degenerative diseases (Alzheimer's, Parkinson's)
    Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial
    Cholesterol
    Blood pressure

Ceylon is the one to take, as the one we find at the supermarket has a potentially harmful compound called coumarol.
    I'm going to try that as well, Srini.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

Srini (09-13-2017)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks, Mike! I found it at Whole Foods. I know you can also get capsules, but I read somewhere that sprinkling some in a cup of tea is the best way to get it absorbed - you may know more about this.

Srini

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12