FenderTalker
    Thanks

Default Help Please - Open String Buzz Problem

I have a 2016 Elite Strat which came strung with 9s when I bought it. I immediately put 10s on it and have been playing without a problem for nearly a year. Recently I decided to try going a little heavier and put on a set of 11s. I loved the feel of the guitar with the stiffer action but the high E open string had the most horrific fret buzz, which stopped when the string was fretted from the first fret onwards. Raising the string height at the bridge saddle didn't have any impact, even when I raised the saddle to a ridiculous height. Swapping the high E back to a 10 cured the problem and the only conclusion I can reach is that the high E nut slot has been cut too deep. If necessary I will have a local luthier change the nut for me but I thought I'd post here first in case anyone has other suggestions that I could try first.
    You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

The high E nut slot may very well be too deep, but if it were originally cut too deep, it would have buzzed from day one. I recently looked at a guitar I built for a hard-gigging player a few years back and he had worn a couple of fret slots too deep - this is something which can be confirmed with a feeler gauge. I mixed a slurry of super glue and bone dust and partially refilled the slots and filed them back down again. took very little time. With your guitar I could do it in 5 minutes, so don't let some bollox overcharge you!

It should not be a truss rod issue, as you have gone to a heavier gauge which should actually increase neck relief if anything. Take a very close look at the first fret to be sure it is not lifting at the high edge of the fretboard.
    Last edited by tele savalas; 08-11-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

Doublestop (08-11-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Try this: Take a thin metal object such as the big end of a fingernail file or small straight screwdriver and push the string sideways right at the nut (try both sides). If the buzz stops, the nut could be cut at the wrong angle or possibly too wide. I had one do exactly what yours is doing and it drove me crazy until I isolated it like that. It could just be that the heavier string doesn't follow the undercut nut (if that's what it is) where the lighter string did.... Just another possibility....
    Last edited by badxmpl; 08-11-2017 at 07:13 AM. Reason: rogue apostrophe
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to badxmpl For This Useful Post:

Doublestop (08-11-2017)

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts Mike, they are a great help.

I've checked the first fret and I can't see anything untoward about it, so I don't think the issue lies there.

Neck relief is right where it should be and, as you say, the greater string tension would increase the relief so I'm satisfied that the problem is not with the truss rod adjustment.

I noticed when reverting to 10s that there was a tiny amount of buzz, but nothing that really seemed to come through when amplified. Physics is not my subject, but I assume that a larger diameter string will oscillate across a larger space than a string of smaller diameter, which would explain why the thicker string has given me issues.

Thanks for suggestion for how to resolve the problem and I wish I lived close enough to you to drop it round. As it is I think I'm too ham-fisted to attempt your suggestion myself, nor do I have the correct tools to re-cut the nut slot. I guess a trip to the local luthier is called for.

In the meantime, and by way of proving where the problem lies, I've taken a 2mm piece of an old 9 gauge E string, put it in the high E slot and then laid the E string over the top. It hasn't interfered with the way the high E rings (currently a 10), nor done anything nasty to the feel of the string at the lower frets so I'll now try it with an 11 and, hopefully, have a stop gap solution until I can get it properly sorted out.

Regards
    Dave
    You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Thanks

Default Help Please - Open String Buzz Problem

As a temporary measure on a bass where the G buzzed only when open, I cut a thin strip off the lid of a margarine tub and used that to shim the nut. You can make a full width shim if all strings are affected or shim one side of the bass or trebles are affected. I shimmed under the G. I did get a Graphtec nut to replace it, but it's working so well I haven't got round to it.
    Also one of my strats has a full width one as a temporary measure and it's been there 6 months, no detriment to tone that I can hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk