Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Default The Telecaster III, rebranded

Here's my completed rebranding on my Squier VM SSH Telecaster. The neck plate still reads "Squier," and the back of the headstock still says "Crafted In India," so I'm not trying to disguise its origins: just giving it a fun, custom name, since the guitar has been so radically modified. This black Tele now features three new pickups by Duncan and Lindy Fralin, a Callaham vintage-style bridge with 3 compensated brass saddles, a flat black guard from Warmoth, a complete fret mill by an absolute local master, new Gotoh vintage-style tuners, modern string trees, all new pots, switches and jacks, etc. The only part of it that's still Squier are the body and neck... and with the changes made, this guitar rings out like a damn piano! Very exciting to play (you wouldn't believe what a difference the tuners made in the neck resonance!), and this little reminder of my D.B.A. name gives it an extra kick.

I sanded off the old logo with some fairly coarse 300 grit paper, followed by a smoothing with 800 grit. A little stain to make it match the fingerboard better, then the decal (a really beautiful job by Rothko & Frost... real metal ink and the thinnest, most delicate waterslide material I've ever seen), smoothed and allowed to dry for 24 hours. After that, many coats of rattle-can polyurethane, with some water and some coffee drops deliberately left to "relic" the finish (just didn't want it to look TOO new). Each coat allowed to sit for a couple of hours before knocking it back with 800, 1200 & 3000 grit paper. Finally, rubbing compound followed by pure beeswax, each buffed off with foam polishing pads attached to my drill.

That's a set of conversion bushing from Stew-Mac, BTW, and they fit super-snug and very permanently... all that was required was a few turn in each tuner hole with a sheet of 300 grit wrapped around a pencil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StudioMike; 08-02-2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Bad image URL
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I'm not seeing a picture. Just a gray circle with a white dash in it.
    ~MW

Quote Originally Posted by StudioMike View Post
    Here's my completed rebranding on my Squier VM SSH Telecaster. The neck plate still reads "Squier," and the back of the headstock still says "Crafted In India," so I'm not trying to disguise its origins: just giving it a fun, custom name, since the guitar has been so radically modified. This black Tele now features three new pickups by Duncan and Lindy Fralin, a Callaham vintage-style bridge with 3 compensated brass saddles, a flat black guard from Warmoth, a complete fret mill by an absolute local master, new Gotoh vintage-style tuners, modern string trees, all new pots, switches and jacks, etc. The only part of it that's still Squier are the body and neck... and with the changes made, this guitar rings out like a damn piano! Very exciting to play (you wouldn't believe what a difference the tuners made in the neck resonance!), and this little reminder of my D.B.A. name gives it an extra kick.

I sanded off the old logo with some fairly coarse 300 grit paper, followed by a smoothing with 800 grit. A little stain to make it match the fingerboard better, then the decal (a really beautiful job by Rothko & Frost... real metal ink and the thinnest, most delicate waterslide material I've ever seen), smoothed and allowed to dry for 24 hours. After that, many coats of rattle-can polyurethane, with some water and some coffee drops deliberately left to "relic" the finish (just didn't want it to look TOO new). Each coat allowed to sit for a couple of hours before knocking it back with 800, 1200 & 3000 grit paper. Finally, rubbing compound followed by pure beeswax, each buffed off with foam polishing pads attached to my drill.

That's a set of conversion bushing from Stew-Mac, BTW, and they fit super-snug and very permanently... all that was required was a few turn in each tuner hole with a sheet of 300 grit wrapped around a pencil.

"But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

FT Member
    Thanks

I'm seeing it... are you on a mobile device, maybe?
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I'm getting the grey circle as well. Sounds like a very extensive investment into an inexpensive guitar, but I'm sure the destination has justified the journey!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

FT Member
    Thanks

Well, darn it. I'll see if I can find the problem.

----- (some time passes) ------

Okay, I uploaded it as an attachment. Let's see if this helps!
    Last edited by StudioMike; 08-02-2017 at 04:20 PM.

FT Member
    Thanks

Tele, I have about $700 in it, including buying the guitar but not including the fret work (I mean, you could end up doing that to any guitar, regardless of price).. I got the pickups from the just-in-cases of friends (I know a guy out east, a former corporate lawyer, who currently lives a stone's throw from Lindy Fralin) for cheap, did the wiring myself... the biggest investment was time.

And that beautiful decal, so thin it disappeared into the finish before it was even topcoat, came all the way from the UK for, like, 12 bucks.

It really plays and sounds awesome now. I hope I never need to take the neck off, because there's some magic in the connection between neck and body. You can feel this guitar clear through your thorax, unplugged.

Oh, BTW... those whitish smudges on the plastic insert in the truss rod hole are leftover beeswax that were wiped away later.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I'll take your word on the beeswax...still can't see it. I bought a Regal resonator guitar new on eBay for $375. It was perfect in every way except for the tuners. Fortunately and unfortunately they were exact replicas of Waverleys, which are about the best tuners available. So I added $140 to the cost, and it was money well-spent!

FT Member
    Thanks

Since I can't get a pic to show up here, I'm just going to delete this thread in a couple hours.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I can see the pic.
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I see the headstock - great decal!