Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

So, you see, there's all sorts of fun waiting for you!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

FT Member
    Thanks

Yes, there is.

And (I'm sure this will come as no surprise to anyone), I spent a couple hours yesterday comparing guitars, and the upshot is, I can't sell any of them. The cheap ones are too weirdly cool (and without resale value), and I could sell the SG for more than I paid, but I need that guitar. So, I'm going into The Grande Finale with my tool kit intact. (Just so you know how cool my wife is about these things, she was very pleased I had decided to keep them all.)
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

There ya go, don't make any rash decisions!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

All I can say, Mike, is congratulations!

I retired 6 years ago at 56, from the outrageously stressful world of IT, as Zenken described in his post. The first couple of months were a little weird, feeling like I had lost my moorings, but that was only because I had identified so much with what I did. But it wore off quickly enough and I must say its the best thing I ever did. And I'm betting you'll say the same thing.

You obviously have your financials mapped out, and once you do that, you're golden. You live in one of the most gorgeous parts of the country, if not the world. I spent several months once in Petaluma, and drove up to Snata Rosa quite a few times. Its hard not to fall in love with NoCal. So, if there's one thing I can pass on, its this - please, for heaven's sake, enjoy yourself!

Srini

FT Member
    Thanks

Srini, we are indeed incredibly lucky to be living in California's stunning North Bay. We are 15 minutes from my Uncle Bob and his wife Magi (our two very best friends in the world) in Sebastopol, 30 minutes from the ocean, 30 minutes from Calistoga (up in the hills), 45 minutes from my son Noah and his family (including our first grandchild), 60 minutes from either my son Aiden and his family (including our second grandchild) or the city (because that's where Aiden lives).

The landscape, the food (so freaking good), the weather (today, Aug 7th, is sunny with a high of 76), the people... I can go on at great length (and often do). We love everything about it every day.

I'm really feeling a lot better about slowing things down... especially since two new potential projects showed up over the weekend!

But yeah, for me, the real sadness is the identity thing. I have really enjoyed identifying myself as a "professional musician." People ask what I do and I get to say, "I make music for advertising and video games." Coming to a point where the answer is, "Not much, I'm retired" feels like a huge step backward.

But I am feeling way mo' better about everything. Thanks for the reply, guy.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StudioMike View Post
    Coming to a point where the answer is, "Not much, I'm retired" feels like a huge step backward.
    After being self-employed for almost 40 years, when people ask the "what do you do" thing, I answer proudly, "I'm self-unemployed!" I think that answer works for anyone..... As well as: "I'm in Witness Protection so I can't say." Or, "I'm a philanthropist (pause for effect) Well, actually, I'm just 'pist' ". All in the name of fun.... And ya gotta have fun because now you have no excuse to NOT!!
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to badxmpl For This Useful Post:

StudioMike (08-07-2017)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Mike, you didn't do something that a lot of us did, and you should be proud of that. You didn't sell your soul to corporate America, like I certainly did. So your retirement doesn't include the usual identity crisis, because you can still identify with being a musician. That identity will stay with you all your life.

I have yet another response to the "what do you do?" question - I'm gainfully retired. That works very well. Believe me, rather than being a step backwards, people will envy you. And, trust me, I totally envy where you live. Like you said, there's nothing not to like - the weather, the food, the scenery. And with all that family close by, you're a lucky guy!

This is the time to sit back and pontificate - enjoy it!

Srini

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Sounds like you have the transition pretty much figured out Mike. Time to sit back and enjoy the sunset. At 62 I'm just starting to think ahead to the possibilities. I'm kinda planning to ditch my management position in the next couple of years, then just work full-time for a bit. I'll cut back to part-time when my body decides I need to.
    Whether you think you can...or you can't...you're right!

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!!!

Fenderfied
    Thanks

All the best with your retirement Mike - this is now your time, so I hope you enjoy it. I'm glad you decided to keep those guitars too.

I'm nearing retirement myself. I've worked for the same company for 40 years and (assuming I get out alive) I can retire with a comfortable financial package from next year if I want to.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

"ooh--ooh, take the money and run".....
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast