Thanks

Default My Set-List/Gear.....what PU would best fit?

Hi all,

I own a 2008 American HSS Standard in Sienna Sunburst/Ash Body with rosewood fret board. I play through a Blackstar ID 260 (the guitar is new to me and I have not plugged it in for more than a few minutes).

I would like to replace all 3 pickups with a set that would best fit the songs that I am working on - I would appreciate your input of helping get the best sound for these songs:

LA Woman / Roadhouse Blues
    Misty Mountain Hop / Rock and Roll
    Tightrope / House is Rockin'
    Hot Legs / Stay With Me
    Miss You / B*tch
    Foxy Lady / Red House
    Etc.....

I want to be mindful of the output between the PU's and would prefer noiseless or even stacked humbuckers, etc.
    Also, any opinions on the S-Duncan Everything Loaded Pickguard?

THANKS!
    Last edited by Havenot; 07-28-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Before you go swapping pickups, it might be a good idea to play your guitar 'as is'. With a HSS combo you should have enough tone variation to do your list and more.... especially with your amp. Plus, since you haven't played the guitar much, how do you know you love the neck enough to put more money into it? PLAY IT.... ya might just love it the way it is....

Welcome to FT!!
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Thanks

That is some sound advice, thanks. I will continue to play it and assess if the tones i get are what i need, off the bat i dont like the hum when i switch to the single coils.....but i agree its early...... still would like suggestions just in case.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I agree. Play it for a while and see how it does. Those are classic rock songs and you have a classic rock set up. It took me a couple of years with my first SSS Strat before I decided to make a change. If you eventually decide to go noiseless, Kinmans are a good choice. But don't rush it.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people" Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat, "We're all mad here 'n stuff."

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

You are already in the ball park, so just play the heck out of it and see what you can get with what you've got! Nearly all those songs you mentioned were originally recorded with noisy single coil pickups.

But if you've got to go noiseless, Jerry's advice is great. I am a huge Kinman fan also.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerine49 View Post
    I agree. Play it for a while and see how it does. Those are classic rock songs and you have a classic rock set up. It took me a couple of years with my first SSS Strat before I decided to make a change. If you eventually decide to go noiseless, Kinmans are a good choice. But don't rush it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    You are already in the ball park, so just play the heck out of it and see what you can get with what you've got! Nearly all those songs you mentioned were originally recorded with noisy single coil pickups.

But if you've got to go noiseless, Jerry's advice is great. I am a huge Kinman fan also.
    Yeah, thanks! I'm gonna have some quality time with the guitar plugged in this week to get a better feel for it. I may have jumped the gun.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Havenot View Post
    That is some sound advice, thanks. I will continue to play it and assess if the tones i get are what i need, off the bat i dont like the hum when i switch to the single coils.....but i agree its early...... still would like suggestions just in case.

If you have florescent lighting near you when you play you could be picking up some hum from them. I get some additional hum if I sit too close to my computer. That makes recording a challenge....
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Best noiseless strat pickups I've heard are Zexcoils. I don't think they do pre-loaded pickguards, but If you order the parts and ship 'em to me I'll wire it up for you.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.