Thanks

Cool Guitar Shielding

I have seen so many threads on this subject but I have whittled it down to 2 main areas:

1. Covering the cavity walls in either tape or paint.

2. Connecting everything to ground (or Earth as we say in the UK).

I have a great tip for people wanting to do a fantastic, professional job on a budget.
    The copper-foil-tape supplied for guitar folks use is a complete rip-off and is so expensive for the amount you get (1 guitar), I object to buying it!
    Paint is also expensive, for the amount you get and the results are usually poor so that's a no no for me also.
    Use aluminium foil-tape instead of the copper-foil-tape, a lot of people do so this isn't a new product for this job.
    Here in the UK I can buy a 10 meter (30 1/2 ft) roll of aluminium-foil-tape for 1, the adhesive isn't conductive but by following advice from other people and folding the edge back before overlaying the next piece you can make the whole covering, in the cavity, conductive.
    Another method is just to just slightly overlap each piece without any folding but then use small pieces of kitchen foil as stitches or bridging pieces glued on with Uhu-Stick (Prit-Stic type glue but better quality).
    This glue is water-based and is conductive.
    You can shield the scratch-plate this way too, you can also use just aluminium-kitchen-foil and Uhu-Stick to do the scratch-plate and cavity but it may take a while.
    If you do use Uhu-Stick to glue on top of the foil you can speed the drying up with the aid of a hairdryer on a medium setting.
    By warming-up the foil it will dry the glue and give a great bond.
    Only use Uhu-Stick to glue stuff-down on a sealed surface, on bare wood the glue will be absorbed leaving the join bare (it will come unstuck).
    For Earthing (ground) use a small square of copper-foil-tape stuck onto the wall of the cavity and by overlaying the edges with strips of kitchen-foil and Uhu-Stick you will make it all conductive. Then you can solder your earth wire (ground wire) to this). This method does look pretty cool too. I can never understand people gluing down aluminium-kitchen-foil using rubber compound adhesive, PVA, spray adhesive, tubed contact adhesive or any other messy liquid glue. By using the water-based Uhu-Stick you get great flat smooth results without the mess.

I am not commenting on Earthing the guitar because I don't know enough about it and I would like some good information from other members of where to do the connecting without creating ground loops leaving me to potentially 'light-up' myself. not nice!
    So please any accurate information to safely earth my guitar after shielding-work will be greatly appreciated.
    hanks guys, all the best: Glenn (in the UK)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HohnerArborSeries For This Useful Post:

skypeace (10-28-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

hello a fellow stokie

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I use copper tape from garden centres (slug repellent) for the body cavity and solder the edges in a few places to ensure conductivity. For the back of the pickguard I use kitchen foil stuck down with spray mount.

Your guitar will be earthed via the shielding layer of your guitar cable (i.e. it will share the same earth as your amp). So long as the amp's earth isn't disconnected you will not 'light up'.

Ground loops are a totally different thing - they occur when amps are connected to different earth sources. The effect is an audible hum. This also isn't dangerous so long as the earth wires aren't disconnected. To cure a ground loop issue, just connect everything to the same power socket, so everything is sharing the same earth source.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.