Thanks

Default Ultimate Guitar Nut and Saddle Lubricant

Hello out there.
    I'm new to this Forum and thought I would give you all a gift. As a guitar player and, among other things, a chemist who would rather make my reagents than purchase them especially when my formulations are better.

The following is a recipe to make the ultimate Nut and Saddle Lubricant.

This Lubricant really works, is water resistant, does not damage the nut (made of bone, Ivory, polymer,...)* and will last longer than your strings.

Ingredients:

[ ] LanoLube

[ ] Ballistol

[ ] Graphite Powder (fine)
    Any brand of fine graphite Powder will do.

Recipe:
    1. Heat LanoLube to liquid
    2. Mix 1 volume of Ballistol with 2 volumes of warm liquid LanoLube then remove from heat
    3. While mixture is still liquid stir in 1/4 volume of Graphite Powder until homogenous.
    4. Let cool to room temperature

Storage:
    Keep the resulting viscous Lubricant in a closed wide mouth glass container (e.g. a shoe polish jar).

Application Tool:
    Cut 4" lengths of (old) strings of the desired gauges (e.g. .009" - .046") leaving the end ferrule attached.
    Attach the strings in gauge order onto a metal key ring by their ferrules.

Application:
    0. Clean the nut slots with Naphtha and Polish the saddle grooves with fine metal polish or 1500 grit sandpaper then clean with Naptha before applying Lubricant if necessary.

1. Dip 1/8" length of each string in room temp Lubricant and pass thru the nut slot and over the saddle groove for each gauge of string (i.e. pass the .0010" lubricated string thru the 1st - high E nut slot and over the saddle groove).

2. Now attach a new set of strings to your guitar as usual. After stretching and tuning up simply wipe away any excess exposed Lubricant.

*This Lubricant is actually good for bone nuts keeping them from drying out and becoming brittle over time.

Enjoy

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Sounds interesting! I've made a more redneck version myself, I just mixed a little petroleum jelly with graphite powder and came up with a similar mixture that seems to do the job.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Thanks for the recipe, Who... I've tried all kinds of stuff (chapstick with graphite, etc,etc...) and have finally settled on Big Bends Nut Sauce. It's spendy but lasts me a LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time since ya need so little of it. I don't have LanoLube or Ballistol laying around (I'm not a chemist but it sounds like if you had to ask for those items the NSA would immediately be notified) and if I did Mrs. Bad wouldn't let me use her cookware to heat and combine. (the last time I used her funnel for brake fluid I received a buttload of demerits! Almost got demoted to Domestic Vandal) Anyway, have you tried the 'sauce'? It works good and won't put your marital "bliss" in jeopardy. Plus, since it comes ready-to-use, leaves more time for noodlin'....

BTW, Welcome to FT!!!!
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badxmpl View Post
    Thanks for the recipe, Who... I've tried all kinds of stuff (chapstick with graphite, etc,etc...) and have finally settled on Big Bends Nut Sauce. It's spendy but lasts me a LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time since ya need so little of it. I don't have LanoLube or Ballistol laying around (I'm not a chemist but it sounds like if you had to ask for those items the NSA would immediately be notified) and if I did Mrs. Bad wouldn't let me use her cookware to heat and combine. (the last time I used her funnel for brake fluid I received a buttload of demerits! Almost got demoted to Domestic Vandal) Anyway, have you tried the 'sauce'? It works good and won't put your marital "bliss" in jeopardy. Plus, since it comes ready-to-use, leaves more time for noodlin'....

BTW, Welcome to FT!!!!
    I have tried "Nut Sauce" and it works well for a while but it is expensive. The Vaseline and graphite mixture works well too.
    Thanks for the welcome.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Yeah, like Lucky, years ago I bought a vial of that venerable Nut Sauce and it worked great. It finally did empty out (I have a lot of guitars and work on a lot of friends' guitars), and that's when I decided to come up with my own recipe. I refilled my old Nut Sauce applicator with the magical goo.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.