Thanks

Default Stratocaster nut slots?

I am trying to put a new nut on a stratocaster style instrument and have a question. Is there a standard width that is used for each slot since a person may want to put on a regular size set of strings (10,13,17,26,36,46) and then later may want to go to (9,11,16,24,32,42). Is it best to just make the slots for a regular size set? I presume the slightly larger cut will not interfere or present a problem with the lighter string size set. Am I correct? Thanks for any advice.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Welcome, Franko48!
    You are correct. You can cut them for 10/46 and then change for 9/42s with no problem. We're only talking about up to four THOUSANDTHS of an inch. The main thing is that they're free in the nut. (especially on a Strat with a tremolo that gets used)
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Thanks

Default Nut Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by badxmpl View Post
    Welcome, Franko48!
    You are correct. You can cut them for 10/46 and then change for 9/42s with no problem. We're only talking about up to four THOUSANDTHS of an inch. The main thing is that they're free in the nut. (especially on a Strat with a tremolo that gets used)
    Thanks for the info. I figured the slots needed to be a little larger than the strings but not enough to cause them to move from side to side. It seems the nut slots were cut pretty close to standard and all I had to do is improve the angle a little. I made some feeler gauge files but they are not that great. I really need to look around and pick up a couple good files to do the job right especially if I pick up on a nut that has absolutely no grooves at all. I like the ones from StewMac but they are pricey. I have seen some on Ebay but from what I have heard they are not very good.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I use Stew Mac files, but I use them a LOT, so it was a worthwhile investment for me. You should be able to find something in this selection at a reasonable price:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+nut+slot+file
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Welcome to FenderTalk, Franko48! I use a set I got from Stew Mac also, and they are great tools but not cheap.

"Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.