Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best fender amp

FT Member
    Thanks

Default best fender amp

whats the best tube fender amp for under 1000 new in your opion ,for Clapton tones ?

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Clapton has had a variety of different tones over the years, and these are the amps he used:

http://equipboard.com/pros/eric-clapton/#amplifiers

I think his favorites were 50's tweed Twins. There was a signature Clapton Tremolux amp based on the circuit but only 12 watts and a single 12" speaker, but they're going for twice what you want to spend if you can find one used.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

FT Member
    Thanks

yea and there like rocking horse business to find that would be my choice if I could find one id sell my hrd and bd for one

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Sheesh, if you have an HRD and a BD you are already in the right neighborhood! Just keep playing those bad boys while you're on the hunt.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Your best step up from HRD and BD would probably be one of these at this point and at your price point.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Fende...cAAOSwX61ZFy~y

It's not going to have the same tone as a tweed Twin (either vintage or reissue) but it will definitely sound better than what you've got - the Deluxe is a classic Fender tone for the ages - I recently spent some time with Kirk Fletcher and Josh Smith (these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLhQVvzXD-0 ) and when I asked them what their amp of choice is, they both responded simultaneously with no hesitation - "Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb". Of course, they were talking about vintage models, but the reissues will get you into the ballpark within your budget.

FT Member
    Thanks

What are you going to do with this amp? Record? Play at home? Jam with friends? Bar gigs? Stages?

In any endeavor, the first question is always "What am I trying to accomplish?"
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

FT Member
    Thanks

just for home use and jams with friends

FT Member
    Thanks

Then I would suggest a Fender Princeton Reverb. You can crank it a bit, and get that "Layla" style grit, back off the guitar and clean it up... nice reverb and tremolo, too.

Vintage units sell for quite a bit more than your budget number, but Fender builds a nice reissue ('65 Princeton Reverb, it's called) that goes for 800USD.... Andertons sells it for 1140BP, so it's just a hair above your number, but worth it. Go play one! I guarantee you'll love it.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2172006000/combo-amps/fender-vintage-reissue-65-princeton-reverb-amp

"No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StudioMike For This Useful Post:

4thwisemonkey (07-01-2017)

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

At small room and jam volume levels, a good PR is a gorgeous tone. I actually found a Blackface on eBay for under $700, but it was really just the chassis, beautifully built into a head cabinet which looked authentically like a 60's Bassman head. One cap had been replaced, as well as the reverb tank, but the amp still sounds incredible.

These folks have the "OBO" option, so you might find that they'd accept an offer of 950 BP or so..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-65-...UAAOSwYlRZHT1J

FT Member
    Thanks

I agree that a Deluxe Reverb is a fundamental guitar amp, a foundation you can build a great sound on. It does just about everything well. But if it doesn't have to be a Fender, I bought (years back, when they first came out) an Egnater Rebel 20 head and single 12" cab, and it was less expensive than a DRRI and more versatile. I could make it sound like a lot of things, including a Deluxe, an AC 15 and a low-wattage Plexi (I used to play through a 50 watt Marshall Plexi head back in the day).

So, depending on what you're going for, the Deluxe Reverb could be a fine choice. But I love that Princeton tremolo!