Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FT Member
    Thanks

same as tele about 10 weeks

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StudioMike View Post
    There's a philosophical "cool guy" concept that floats on the web that Telecasters are superior to all other guitars, it's a real man's guitar, that it is somehow different from a Strat in ways so basic and yet mystical that once you have been "converted" you come to disdain all other guitars.

i like my Tele a lot, but that concept is a fairy tale. Teles and Strats are both solid body guitars with the same materials, same neck shapes, same scale length. They just aren't that different. I once heard Vince Gill soloing on TV from the other room, chicken pickin' like a maniac on n what was obviously a Tele. Til I walked in and saw he was playing a Stratocaster. With EMGs.

So if you like playing a Telecaster, great. But if your Strats sound "dead," that's on you. (And brass saddles sound softer and less bright than steel.)
    Very true in many ways, and I forgot about the brass saddles. That said, people also change out pickups a lot, so its possible something's different there. I really don't know the extent of influence of the bridge on the Tele, but that could well make it a tad brighter. The thing is, they don't all use the same materials. You've got alder strats and alder Teles, swamp ash strat and swamp ash Teles and then you even have rosewood Teles. I'm not saying the OP has any unusual woods, but I guess I'm saying that there are many potential differentiators.

Srini

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

When you can afford to, consider swapping out some pickups in one of your Strats. On your side of the pond, Bare Knuckle has some fine offerings, but if you want to try some of the Yankee hand-winders I could suggest a few. If you want hum-free pickups, I highly recommend Zexcoils. One other thing you might try is a titanium trem block:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/search.a...ium+trem+block
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

If you are strumming acoustically then you will hear the Strats big ole pickguard vibrating a bit. It sounds a tad different from strumming a Tele acoustically. Not a huge difference though.
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll totally second Mike's suggestion of Zexcoils. I put them in two guitars, and never regretted it - the best noiseless single coils I've ever used. Just be aware, though, that the Convertibles have their own tone - and a great one too - but I'm not sure how well they model the PAFs that they're supposed to model.

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Don't make me conjure up visions of Kinmans!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Oh, how I love thee sweet Kinmans. Especially in a Tele!
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

FT Member
    Thanks

Fralins. And a Callaham stainless tremolo block. That was the single best improvement I've ever done to a strat. Brass or Ti works on Floyds, but the density works on the strat trem, IMO.