Thread: Nylon Joys!

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Nylon Joys!

So I've had this nylon craving for a while, and had been thinking of getting a copy of something like the Sadowsky built for me (thanks for the PM exchange, Mike!). Then, I ran into what looked like a great deal - a Godin slim neck nylon for $715 - they go for something like $1299 new. When I called the store to find out what the story was, they said it was a customer return, but they were having a sale on the plain cedar top satin finish version (which this one was), and they'd let me have a brand new one for $799. It took me about an hour to think about it, so I called them back and pulled the trigger.

It came in yesterday, and I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised. The satin finish is really beautiful, the neck feels fantastic and the workmanship is superb, from what I can tell. This model is called an ACS-SA Slim, the SA standing for synth access and the slim for the relatively narrow nut, which is 1 3/4" - very, very comfortable for a nylon string guitar. The body is maple with a cedar top, and the neck is maple with a richlite fingerboard, which actually feels pretty nice, but not like real wood. Then again, I haven't had an ebony fingerboard in years, so maybe I've forgotten what that feels like. The neck joint is really nice with great upper fret access.

It has two outputs. One is a regular 1/4", and the other is the Roland 13-pin connector, so if I ever get a synth, I could theoretically use this to expand my sonic capabilities.

All in all, I'd have to say I have only two issues, as it were. One is that the neck is thinner than I'd like (not the nut width), but then the 336 has gotten me used to slim necks so its not so bad. However, I wish it were less of a D carve and more of a C carve - but I'll get used to the shoulder. The other thing is that tuning stability is practically non existent for now. I wonder if its because the strings are new (we hope!) and that nylons take a lot longer to stretch out than steel strings - I don't know. Acoustically, the tone is nothing to write home about, but plugged in, it has that Latin jazz/pop tone, which is what I wanted. I have no idea what is or isn't authentic, but I like it.

All that and a very decent gig bag that comes with it, to boot!

Srini
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Srini; 05-26-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Congratulations, Srini! That sounds like a whole new set of horizons to explore, so you should have a good time doing it. I haven't had a nylon string guitar around for many years, but from what I remember, they do take a lot longer to settle in to hold a note than our metal strings.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks, Stan! As usual, something else to distract me from actually finishing up a song!!

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

For a moment there I thought you were into wimmen's stockings
    http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic581_3.gif

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Yup...my nylon fetish..:)

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    Did you wash this pear, Jerry?

FT Member
    Thanks

You hoff zee nylons, yes?

FT Member
    Thanks

Nice snag... man, I'd love to have one of those! And yeah, nylon strings need a LOT of stretching to settle down.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest