Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Haha, no sweat, Mike! I knew what you meant..:)

In fact, the point you made is one which is of great concern, just like the second point in your latest post. On the one hand, people like me, ok, amateurs for lack of a better term, have a lot more at our disposal in terms of tools. It has, in a way, democratized music creation, which is a great thing. On the other hand, the plethora of options makes for a potentially non-productive environment, which you have pointed out. Quite frankly, I don't think there's a really good solution at hand.

If you're a pro, who makes his/her living at this, then you truly have no time to fool around. You can't be waiting for inspiration, and you can't spend hours tweaking gear or learning the latest and greatest. You have to produce, or you don't make your mortgage. But then, if you're an amateur, you can very easily get caught up in all this gear and end up producing very little, like me. Only three songs on YouTube, and several others in various stages of completion, and I'm still messing around with gear.

Speaking of tube rolling and the like, if I were to be truly candid, I'd have to say that after all these years of experimenting with amps and tubes - and having finally found something that gives me my guitar voice - I'm willing to bet that an Axe-Fx, or a Kemper, or even a Bias Head - hey, maybe even an inexpensive Atomic AmpliFire - could be indistinguishable from the real thing in a mix. I'm tempted to say that if I were putting bread on the table with music, I'd forget about tube amps completely (except for my personal use) and go with as much modeling as I can.

Oh, and speaking of retirement....I can only tell you that life begins at retirement. If you have a good financial plan that lets you do it, the sooner the better. I sold my soul to Corporate America for decades, but that let me hang it up at 56, and hopefully I'm regaining some of it. I wish you all the best with getting there - you won't regret it!

FWIW..:)

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 05-26-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4thwisemonkey View Post
    can anyone recommend different pre tubes for bdxe ,iv got tinnitus and mines ice picky looking to mellow out the highs ?
    This mod works on many Fenders, depending on the speakers used. It's worth a try.

Add a 100pF Mica cap across the feedback resistor. This will filter out some of the high frequencies that cause this symptom. The cap allows high frequencies to go around the feedback resistor which should settle the problem. Use a jumper and test out some ranges because you can always go a bit higher. If you want to cut out more highs, without flubbing out, you can try all the way up to a.002uF cap which will cut more highs. If you experiment and go to high and you may cause some oscillation problems at high volumes. Don't back down the cap's value; you can place a 4.7k resistor in series with the chosen cap. This should reduce the very high frequencies that cause this problem. HTH

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4thwisemonkey View Post
    can anyone recommend different pre tubes for bdxe ,iv got tinnitus and mines ice picky looking to mellow out the highs ?
    This mod works on many Fenders, depending on the speakers used. It's worth a try.

Add a 100pF Mica cap across the feedback resistor. This will filter out some of the high frequencies that cause this symptom. The cap allows high frequencies to go around the feedback resistor which should settle the problem. Use a jumper and test out some ranges because you can always go a bit higher. If you want to cut out more highs, without flubbing out, you can try all the way up to a.002uF cap which will cut more highs. If you experiment and go to high and you may cause some oscillation problems at high volumes. Don't back down the cap's value; you can place a 4.7k resistor in series with the chosen cap. This should reduce the very high frequencies that cause this problem.

Preamp 'tube swapping' will probably not solve this as it is a leakage of high frequencies that is the problem. HTH