Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FT Member
    Thanks

Default blues deluxe pre amp tubes

can anyone recommend different pre tubes for bdxe ,iv got tinnitus and mines ice picky looking to mellow out the highs ?

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I think almost any modern tube amp that you can buy at GC or Sweetwater can be greatly improved by using lower gain tubes in the pre-amp stage. Something like 5751's, which put out about 70% of the gain you get from 12ax7's, should make the amp sound smoother and help with that "ice pick" 2K hump.

There are several types of tube that are a direct replacement for 12ax7's but exhibit lower output gain.
    Last edited by StudioMike; 05-22-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Agree on 5751s. Might also try 12au7s. Most NOS tubes should sound better as well.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

4thwisemonkey (05-23-2017)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Preamp tubes can be a very personal thing. I myself have found that 5751s don't reduce gain enough for me. To make matters more complicated, even some 12AX7s - even though they may have high gain - can get rid of the ice pick highs that you mentioned. I noticed that phenomenon pretty clearly when I went from a JJ to an NOS Mullard ECC83 in V1. Unfortunately, those Mullards cost an arm and a leg these days, so that may not be a viable option for you.

After a lot of experimentation, I found the perfect V1 for myself - and others may disagree. There is an affordable NOS Mullard called the 4024. My suggestion would be to try one, then grab as many as you can and stash them because once people find out about them (if they haven't already), they'll become unaffordable. The 4024 is a 12AT7 designation, and is a slightly lower gain than the 5751 (60 vs 70), but the tone is warm and fat - noticeably so.

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/n...d-cv4024-12at7

It is common knowledge that 12AT7s are terrible V1s, but great drivers and PI tubes, and that has to do with their high current handling (as opposed to gain). But for some reason that even experts can't seem to explain, these Mullard 4024s (not any 4024 either!) seem to defy logic. I way prefer them to the Mullard ECC83s.

I'd suggest you try one and see if you like it. However, let me caution you that "tube rolling" is a very expensive proposition, as I found out the hard way. It may be cheaper to turn down the treble, but may not be as satisfying. Anyway, let us know how you make out.

Srini

FT Member
    Thanks

thanks mate think ive got a 12at7 somewhere I tried in it my hotrod deluxe a couple of years ago is this the same tube in the George benson amp ?

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4thwisemonkey View Post
    thanks mate think ive got a 12at7 somewhere I tried in it my hotrod deluxe a couple of years ago is this the same tube in the George benson amp ?
    No, its not a garden variety 12AT7 - its a specific brand and tube (Mullard CV 4024) that I'm talking about. I have no idea what they use in the George Benson amp.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Tube rolling is for amateurs or big-time pros: we guys in the middle don't have time for it. My Blues Jr. introduced me to the world of pointless modifications (none of them ever really made it sound what you'd call "good"). I continued to a lesser extent with my Egnaters. But I finally just bought an amp that sounded so damn good from the factory there's no need for improvement. It's like, "I used to hang around the speed shop swapping parts in my 'Cuda, but then I just wised up and bought a Tesla."

It's just like the synth guys: the amateurs have time to program patches, the big stars have money to hire someone to program patches. Those of us who make a living at it look for great-sounding, easily tweakable presets. Or, that's what I do.

I have to compose, orchestrate and arrange, produce (manage sessions and talent), mix, archive, and sell, sell, sell. I just postponed a dental appointment for the second time because one little unplanned project ruins my schedule. Maybe when I'm retired I'll start fooling around with synth patches or swapping out tubes in guitar amps.

PS: Please, don't take me seriously. No insult intended or implied... I'm just talking here.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest

FT Member
    Thanks

lol its ok mate you say it as you see it

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StudioMike View Post
    Tube rolling is for amateurs or big-time pros: we guys in the middle don't have time for it. My Blues Jr. introduced me to the world of pointless modifications (none of them ever really made it sound what you'd call "good"). I continued to a lesser extent with my Egnaters. But I finally just bought an amp that sounded so damn good from the factory there's no need for improvement. It's like, "I used to hang around the speed shop swapping parts in my 'Cuda, but then I just wised up and bought a Tesla."

It's just like the synth guys: the amateurs have time to program patches, the big stars have money to hire someone to program patches. Those of us who make a living at it look for great-sounding, easily tweakable presets. Or, that's what I do.

I have to compose, orchestrate and arrange, produce (manage sessions and talent), mix, archive, and sell, sell, sell. I just postponed a dental appointment for the second time because one little unplanned project ruins my schedule. Maybe when I'm retired I'll start fooling around with synth patches or swapping out tubes in guitar amps.

PS: Please, don't take me seriously. No insult intended or implied... I'm just talking here.
    Well, I am retired, and don't do this for a living, so I guess I'm an amateur.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Srini, yes, you're an amateur. But that's not a pejorative, dude: for some dumb reason, in American culture, the word "amateur" has become something like a mild insult, which is nuts... it just means you don't do it for a living. I know an "amateur" drummer who could sit in with Weather Report, no sweat. I know a string of amateur guitar players who can blow me off the stand.

It's not a reflection of level of skill: it's just a dividing line between professional and not.

And I'm not even a professional guitar player. I wish I could just play my guitars! But all this stuff with keys and MIDI and digital audio and the endless problems with software... it's eats your time like crazy.

I probably have to work another 5-7 years to get the nest egg in order, but retirement is going to be a blast.