Thread: TC Nova System

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default TC Nova System

I found a great Ebay deal a couple of days back, brand new TC Nova System for $ 229. This was from an Ebay store (as opposed to a guy selling), and they had 10 of them for sale.

Anyway, I've never been a big effects or multi effects guy because, like most people, I like to record dry and add what I need later in Cubase. But I figured the price was good, and it would be fun to have some grease to use while just playing along with stuff. So, the way I hooked it up is:

Guitar-->tuner-->TC Dark Matter (very rarely used)-->amp (Gries 5, in this case)-->Radial JDX---> TC Nova---> Steinberg UR44--->Cubase (Stereo)

Of course, there is a parallel path from the JDX Thru to the Suhr Reactive load, then into the UR44 and into Cubase. This is the dry, raw signal (line level, but "speakerless", if you will). This input sounds horrible while playing, but of course, once you slap a good IR into the track insert - my current favorite being a 1X12 CanAbyss (C-Rex cab, my absolute favorite speaker), and the track sounds great after that.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that it sounds really, really good! I haven't fooled with any of the presets/patches, so this is just an out of box experience. At the moment, I'm getting the wet and dry signals in the stereo mix at about 25%, but when I record, I'll turn that mix level up to 100%. The plan is to use the dry input from the Suhr path as the center of the tone, with the JDX tracks panned on either side. We'll see how that works out. Studio Mike, does that sound like a reasonable signal path to you?

My first impressions are that the reverb on the UR44 sounds smoother and warmer to my ears compared to the Nova, but then this is all preliminary. The funny thing is that I never use compression when I play, so I had to turn the compressor off because, to me, it seems to affect the guitar's picking response, and not in a positive way. I seem to sense a loss of immediacy, if you know what I mean. That said, the chorus, flange and delay are superb!

The Nova has two inputs - one that goes through an analog preamp with OD and some other "front of the amp stuff"; and the other is a line input that bypasses the preamp and gets you to the multi effects. Right now, I'm using the line input, since I've placed the Nova after the Gries, but I'll experiment with the preamp input too - it would be interesting to see what the Nova's distortion sounds like when its placed after the amp.

OK...back to playing with my new toy!

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 04-05-2017 at 03:50 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

CustomWes (04-05-2017)

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

You go, Srini! The Quest never ends!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Ha, you know it Stan! After reading the user manual last night, I realized that this is very definitely not a piece of gear that will knock your socks off right out of the box. Granted, I don't usually spend a lot of time tweaking patches, but I think its going to be required this time. The capabilities are pretty amazing to me. For example, there's a delay setting that lets you cut off the delay while you're actually playing, and let it come on when the dry level drops to something you can set. I'm sure you guys have been hip to this forever, but its a major discovery for me! There are quite a few parameters like this.

Unfortunately, there's no USB port or an editing app or celebrity-player-designed patches (although apparently there is a "red" version of the product with Pete Thorn's patches), so you have to get into that small LCD screen and edit there. Still, I imagine that once I get my own personal basic patches created, I won't have to keep editing.

I'll keep you guys posted - so far, though, it looks very much like a keeper.

Srini

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

OK, I think I've had the grand tour by now, and learned to access most of the important functions. Of the 30 presets, I'd say about 5, maybe 10 if you stretch it, are useful - and many of the others can be made useful. Even these 5 or 10, though aren't exactly what I want, but should be easy enough to customize. The sound quality, though, is totally pristine; just totally TC. I used to have an old TC chorus/flanger decades back, and this has that character.

More later!

Srini