Thanks

Default 2010 strat with a 9V buried under the pickguard

i'm pretty new to guitarland. i do some recording for other folks. i was recently given what i am told is a 2010 fender strat in payment for some work. it's pretty beat up and not well taken care of. the pickguard was missing all but 4 screws. i took to the pick guard off to see if i could clean the contacts and pots up. buried under the pick guard, below the switch, with no other access i found a 9V battery. what is it for? is this really a strat?

everything looks factoryish. the ground to the jack was poorly done and i remade it. the guitar plays without the battery, but there is no access to it without unstringing and removing the pickguard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

That's an active cicuit. EMG pickups, perhaps?
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

tireiron (03-30-2017)

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Yep, that's wiring for an EMG circuit. I know because I use them in my main guitar, a home-brew Warmoth. What do the pickups look like?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StudioMike For This Useful Post:

tireiron (03-30-2017)

Thanks

Ah Ha! EMG it is! from the covers, they look like single coils. see picture.

NOW! is it kosher to take my handy dandy little router tool and carve an access into the back and then put in a cover plate? it would certainly make access to the 9V easier! oh hell... it's mine now! that would make it even more of a custom. i have new screws and such. i got black ones so they all match and new knobs and a switch cover. i used deox contact cleaner and fader cleaner and i'm thinking the hardware is good but ugly. the contacts are all good. i'm thinking of sanding the body down and repaint. i'm thinking P bass black. i'm kind of thinking the beat up pick guard might buff up ok and give it a some character.

the neck is straight but the frets are pretty worn. i've never replaced frets before. i dunno... i replaced the nut and it seems fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tireiron; 03-30-2017 at 10:10 PM.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Sure. Knock yourself out! Warmoth sells a slick little pop-up battery box that I'd install in my active Strat, but it's a chambered body so the battery box is contraindicated.

Those have to be fairly recent pickups, because that just started doing that snap-together wiring sometime in the last couple years. Don't how that guitar got that filthy so quickly.

I have a good relationship with EMG: I use their pickups, I live in Santa Rosa, CA (where they're made), been to the factory, know a couple front office guys there. Let know if I can help in any way.

You're following the correct path. DeOxIt5 is the greatest electrical invention ever. I've seen completely dead electronics brought back toile by simply opening the case, hosing down all the contacts with D5, and waiting 10 minutes. I used to have a Novation Supernova rack synth, and when I decided to sell, I turned it on for the first time in months and the software wouldn't boot. I hit all the major contacts with D5, and the damn thing fired right up.

Thanks

re: deoxit5. i'm a retired EE, electrician. that stuff is amazing. i've been using it on all sorts of stuff from oil pipeline switchgear to, heh, heh.. electric guitars! repair kit in a can! i also like their fader cleaner, that's newer but also very effective. i checked out that gotoh battery box. i see what you mean about the contraindication, but it's got a nice rim. what do you think about a flush mount and the proper adhesive?

re: grime, the kid placed too much emphasis on the drugs. he could squeeze all sorts of music from that thing, but he never, ever took care of his ax... at all. i've seen it sooo many times. sad. his music is now just filed on my cloud.
    Last edited by tireiron; 04-01-2017 at 12:28 PM.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

A battery box works great on a solid body. I just can't use one on mine because the inside is a honeycomb... cutting space for it would cause much hilarity within.
    "No matter how smart you thought you were, you are actually way less smart than that." - David Foster Wallace, from Infinite Jest