Thread: New headphones

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default New headphones

Gentlemen,

Sorry for being MIA for a while, I just got incredibly busy and things are settling back. Even before I left for India, I noticed that my much-loved AKG K280s (not made any more, in fact AKG doesn't even make headphones in Austria any more) began cutting out on one side. Granted its probably a simple re-soldering job, I'm sure I'm not capable of such small scale, fine fixes. In any event, this was a setback, since I'm used to doing all my mixes on the AKGs (I bought them in 1985), so I decided to get another pair anyway - always nice to have two, right? I read up quite a bit and narrowed it down to the AKG Q701s (Q for Quincy Jones who said they were the "best he had ever heard"), but no longer made in Austria but China. Anyway, I found a pair on Amazon, ordered them just before I left India, and found them at my door the day after I arrived - and the day after it arrived, it started cutting out on one side too. They sounded nice and flat, mostly, which is a good thing for mixing, plus they were open backed, which meant very little isolation, but a great soundstage. But whats the point if it doesn't work??

Anyway, I had to send it back.

Then, I found a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s, new German made, on ebay, and risky as it seemed, the price seemed right, so I jumped on them. They are 32ohm headphones, so technically you don't need an amp to drive them. I must say, so far so good. They sound, very, very good, and very similar to my K280s, except I believe the 280s are closed (or at the very least hybrid). If any of you guys tends to mix on headphones, you might want to seriously consider the DT880s - very honest, probably not quite as flat as the AKGs, but excellent sounding.

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I have DT990s. Superb.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

I use a set of molded in-ears, buy Alien Ears. I think they have 6 drivers on each side, and they sound pretty dang good. But in-ears are a totally different world from muffs.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

I've never owned a set of in-ears. I hear some of them are pretty amazing. My situation here was actually having gotten so used to the K280 that I really wanted another pair, but they're impossible to find now. These DT880s are just slightly different, but hopefully not enough to affect my mixes too much.

Srini