Thanks

Default I play 5 string, ala Keith Richards - Will the bridge on an American Special work?

Hi everyone, this is my first thread as a member of this forum. I play primarily in open G tuning, and like to snip off the low E string for easier playability. If I were to buy an American Special Telecaster with the "ash tray" bridge with 3 saddles, would that work out? My Squier Tele has a bridge with 6 individual saddles so I took the low E saddle off so that it doesn't rattle when I play. Does anyone know if this is a cause for concern? The picture below is the American Special bridge/saddles that I mentioned.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Check these specs (string hole spacing, mounting screw spacing) and see if they match what is currently on your Tele.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Mike,

I think he's buying a new Tele with ashtray bridge and is wondering if having only one string on a brass saddle is okay.

If he's only snipping off the E string (i.e. and not moving the rest of the strings over!), then I don't see an issue as the brass saddles are supported by grub screws.

However, if he's 'doing a full Keith' and moving the strings over one position too, then I can see intonation issues with the 3 saddle configuration.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

You are correct, Graeme - I mis-read. And I agree that five strings on three saddles should be no issue with the possible exception of intonation if the strings are not in their proper locations.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Welcome to FenderTalk, Reverend!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Thanks

You hit the nail on the head with that one, Captain! I'm not the best at articulating my guitar thoughts, so I can't blame tele savalas for misunderstanding. I don't move the strings over a position, so it sounds like I should be in fine shape. Maybe you guys could help me with something else too. As mentioned, I'm looking into getting an American tele to replace my Squier. My budget is 1000-1250 dollars. I want one in Butterscotch or Butterscotch Blonde and prefer the C shaped necks. Any ideas which model(s) I should look for?

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

The American Professional comes with a 3-saddle bridge, is available in Butterscotch Blonde and has a "deep C" neck contour. The American Special tele comes in Vintage Blonde and has the old C neck contour. There are probably a number of discontinued models that come with 3 saddles, a C neck and butterscotch or butterscotch blonde finishes.

Within your budget you could have a Tele built to your exact specs with hardware and electronics that surpass American Fender assembly line standards (i.e., Glendale Bridge and saddles, hand-wound pickups, etc.). It would play and feel at least as good and probably more like a Custom Shop model. The issue would be resale value, since the guy isn't a household word outside the houses of his friends and family. You can see some of them on the Facebook page for "Aronson Custom Guitars".

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I need the 6th string, some peeps need 7.....................
    You're in my sight, but there's a mist on my lens!

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I took 6 strings off a 12 string..... it's just right, now.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I need a pedal that makes one string sound like six
    http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic581_3.gif