Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Uncle worked for Fender in Fullerton

My uncle, Richard Stigall worked for Leo in the fullerton plant until CBS bought them out in late 64. I have fond memories as a kid visiting my uncle and aunts home. My cousin Steve Stigall "RIP" had a wonderful collection of just about every "Blonde" version of amp Fender ever made. Twin reverb, Princeton, Bandmaster, Bassman and a bunch more. What really sticks in my mind was the wall full of Fender "prototype" guitars that were never mass produced. I remember playing a Fender prototype violin bass modelled afrer the VOX bass McCartney played. He must have had 10 to 15 different prototype models. Stephen also had a really nice strat and PBass. Unfortunately when the buyout occurred, Richard lost his job, the family had troubles and broke up. Stephen played a mean guitar and played in a band in Corona Cal called the West Side Tavern Blues Band. I could not even imagine the monetary value of this stuff not to mention the historical value. Alas, I am sure it all went up the nose of this troubled musician. I went on to be a fledgling bass player myself, owning and playing a few vintage guitars such as a precision bass, gibson EB-O bass as well as a strat and tele. Did not have any blonde amps, but did have Bandmaster, Bassman, Bassman 100 and various Dual Showman heads and cabinets. Don't play anymore, just an old man with fond memoried of LEO's masterpieces.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BornFender For This Useful Post:

willkupers (08-20-2016)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Great! Thanks for sharing it here. I remember going to Fullerton as a kid (grew up in Anaheim) with my Dad. Your Uncle was a part of history.

Stick around and share more. Check out the site, we are Fender lovers here, and want to hear more from you.
    Welcome to the land of Dementia!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Very interesting. Good story.
    Thanks.
    A good guitar cannot be built for the price of a poor one, but who regrets the extra cost for a good guitar?"
    F.H.Martin

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Thanks for your story! It's a kind of microcosm of life... work, play, attainment, disappointment, loss, addiction; enough to be a blues song in itself...

Don't 'fret' over being an old man.... do like we do; pick up your axe and fight! Many of us are "older".... As George Burns said "You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old." Who knows how long he'da lived if he'da played some guitar!

Hope you'll hang out and relate more stories. And get back into it....
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Thanks

Probably won't get back in, but the memories are many. Played Bass in Oregon and NorCal in early 70s with a 3 piece power band. Married my high school sweetheart and quit the band. Still married. I remember the gigs, the groupies the "sex, Drugs & Rock & Roll" although not much on the drug side. Smoked a little pot and drank Tyrolia wine by the gallons. Made a little money playing Cream, Hendrix, Humble Pie, Zeppelin and the Who with a bit of Sabbath to keep us honest. I did more things before I was 19 years old than some will ever do. Awesome times......

Thanks

that awesome thanks for sharing on this one.
    I can access my PC at home even while Im away with the use of remote desktop.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I think it's so coll have some relative that worked at so famous place; like to met some of Apollo 11 crew members.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Wow, that's really cool! Thanks!

I still have the first Fender amp I ever bought, a Bassman 50, and it still rocks.
    Last edited by SAguitar; 03-15-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Dude, that is a really cool story, thanks for sharing it on here!
    "Ain't nobody leavin' this place without singin' the blues" - Albert Collins

Thanks

I played in bands with Steve Stigall for many years, Junior High and High School and after. He was a very talented guitarist. I know your uncle Richard very well. I remember when Steve, Dale Cramer and myself played for a party of Fender people in Anaheim when we were kids. I was playing a Gibson Firebird at the time and one of the Fender people broke my strings and I had to a Fender Coronado. Nice guitar. I also remember that Fender Violin bass and played it many times. Steve also had a nice Fender lap steel. I have very fond memories of Steve and his dad Richard (Tweetie) Stigall.