Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Partscaster Worth It?

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here but you all seem friendly and helpful so I figured I'd register to get some opinions of this "Strat" I came across at a pawn shop not long ago. I'd call it a partscaster as it has a Mighty Mite replacement neck, and many aftermarket accessories like knobs, pickup covers, etc. It has a killswitch installed and a mini-toggle that splits the bridge humbucker. It also has Graphtec saddles and Fender locking tuners. It has a Corona California neckplate but I'm doubting it's original.

I think it's a really nice looking guitar and the guy at the shop says that the body is from a MiM Strat, but I can't just go off of his word so when I go back to the shop I plan to ask if he'd allow me to open it up and check the body for markings, machine holes, etc. I'm really set on finding out if this thing is the least bit Fender and if $275 is a decent price for a partscaster. I know they don't hold much value, but maybe that price isn't so bad. I know this isn't a real Strat since a lot of it isn't original but it'd be something I'd love to own if it's the least bit authentic.

I'd appreciate any opinions/advice on this guitar and if anyone can spot something that looks off by looking at the pics below I'd love to know. I'm not really educated with partscasters and don't know what an acceptable price to pay for one is. Maybe these pics below will help out. Thanks in advance for the help.

Pics:

Thanks

Here's a few more of the headstock since I couldn't include them in the original post.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

It's clearly a nice looking partscaster and I see nothing that would prevent me taking it off the rack and playing it.

Let your fingers and ears tell you the rest.

If it plays well and sounds good, then you only need to decide if the price is right.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Bb For This Useful Post:

Bodeanicus (03-09-2017)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

...I'd insist on having all 6 strings though ;)
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Bb For This Useful Post:

Kebmel (02-10-2017)

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I bought a brand new Peavey ES-335 copy for $275 in a legitimate store, thinking, "wow - for that price I can't go wrong, and I've always wanted a 335". It's clunky, the action and string tension suck, and I haven't played it more than 20 minutes in the years I've had it. So it wan't worth it. If it felt and sounded good, it would have been a steal. Play it and decide. For $275, you don't have to look at the insides. It either feels good or it doesn't.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys! You've been so much more helpful and friendly than the last 2 forums who seemed that they couldn't be bothered. I'm going back today to play around with it more but I'm a bit more excited about it now even though it's not a real Strat it's pretty rad.

Thanks

Well, it certainly looks very good. If it also feels and sounds good, grab it!

Thanks

Partscasters hold value for the maker because it has what they found desirable. If you play it and it feels right and the sound inspires you to create the music in your head then its a winner. Partscasters can be a players best companion when we can look past not having a "famous" name on the headstock. Those that scoff at partscasters obviously never considered that some of the most celebrated guitars were just that. Look at claptons blackie, eddie's Frankenstein or brian mays red special.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jimnmissy1111.js For This Useful Post:

Bodeanicus (03-09-2017)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Red face

... Partcaster are nice, they are like puppies from an ordinary dog, mongrel, but still win your heart, body and soul! Partscaster has high value for its creator, and it remains until creator try to sold it - then value dramatically drop and becomes object of argue.

Thanks

Thanks guys, I think you've really shown me what is valuable about such a guitar instead of just saying oh it's not all Fender so it's not worth it. I'm going to play it today and plan to buy when I can sell my Epi SG.