Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Very, very nice clip (I think!)

I've expressed my frustration here, in the past, for not being able to record any more, or even finish the many projects I start, due to "lack of inspiration". I've watched this guy before, and he usually talks about gear and the various techniques you can use to improve recording, but this one directly addresses my dilemma. I've heard something along these lines before, but not quite stated in such a direct way. Needless to say, I find his first suggestion (#3, actually, since he counts down) to be rather unpalatable, even though its is the crux of his message - probably because it is the one action that will force me to change my ways!

I'd be curious to find out if this stuff is old hat to you guys..:)

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

That's good advice! Get to work, doggone it.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Ha! Now I need inspiration to use his advice! Never underestimate the capacity of the human mind to find new ways to procrastinate..:)

Srini

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hah! Slacker, the Last Frontier.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

When it comes to production, I have a gun to my head: if I don't create music, I don't get paid. But even if you're not trying to make a living, I really like this quote. Best sources indicate that it's from Chuck Close (and not Stephen King, William Faulkner, or any of the others it's been Internet Attributed to.)

The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who'll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StudioMike For This Useful Post:

tele savalas (04-03-2017)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I thought Abraham Lincoln posted that one somewhere. Still, it's a good one.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Yup, its the gun to the head that does the trick. On the other hand, if you're like me - retired with no real pressures, its so much easier to just noodle around. I like the quote!

Srini

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Another favorite quote about the gun to the head, from the late, great Sammy Cahn:

"People ask me which comes first, the words or the music. What comes first is the phone call!"

Although now, it's usually e-mail. Have clients I've worked with for 15 years I've never met in person.

Anyway, there's a book around, still in print, I think, written in part (and entirely edited) by Mitch Gallagher from Sweetwater, back when he was EIC at E.Q. magazine, entitled "Make Music Now!" It's aimed at helping new recordists get up and running, and there's a lot of info in there about beginner's gear and stuff nobody in this forum probably needs. But I wrote a couple of chapters in that book (I was writing a monthly column for E.Q. back then), and my stuff was about getting focused, getting down to work, inspiring yourself, and actually finishing those tunes that seem to float in limbo.

One trick that works for a lot of musicians is breaking the project down into mental chunks. Creating a radio-ready rock song can seem pretty daunting, but it's less daunting if you say, "this weekend, all I'm going to do is get the MIDI drum parts just right." That's all, just the drums. If you do each task carefully and with your full attention until it's just the way you want it, the pieces will come together to make a perfect whole. That's how Norm Abrams does it in The New Yankee Workshop.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StudioMike For This Useful Post:

Srini (04-05-2017)

FenderTalker
    Thanks

An interesting and thought provoking clip.

#3 applies to me - I have loads of unfinished projects, snippets of music and lonely lyrics just lying around.

#2 not me at all - I listen to music all the time. Current joy was discovering that Colosseum (Clem Clemson and Chris Farlowe line up) made an album in 2008 called Tomorrow's Blues, the title track of which really hits the mark with me (there's a great live video on YouTube in case anyone's interested).

#1 not me at all - I can't bloody afford to change anything!

Doublestop
    You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublestop For This Useful Post:

Srini (04-05-2017)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Mike, thats good advice about breaking things down into manageable components and focusing on just the one thing at a given point in time. It all boils down to mental discipline, which I have almost completely lost since I retired. I've actually used that technique a few times with great effect, and I have also resisted doing it, with predictably empty results. Steve Vai mentions something similar to your philosophy in one of his interviews. His take is a slight modification, in that he is constantly recording those snippets that Dave mentioned, anywhere he can - his iPhone, a handy recorder...whatever is around. Then, when he needs "inspiration" (my word, not his), he goes through all those snippets, find segments that could plausibly fit together, then tweaks them into a song.

A small aside here, even though I'm not a big fan of Vai's music (I like a very different genre), its obviously impossible to ignore his capabilities; but more importantly, every time I hear him speak, I'm struck by what an intelligent, articulate person he is.

Dave, I'm with you almost completely, except for #2. Like you, I used to listen to music all the time, but for the past several years, I prefer not to listen to any music passively. If I'm listening, its because I want to listen to a particular song, artist or solo (or bass part or drum part) that I can try to emulate; or to play along with something, or learn a song. Its likely not a very healthy attitude, but there you have it!

Srini